xlviii. blameful isolation

FORTY EIGHT. blameful isolation

AFTER a handful of mouthy yells, Adeline had finally alerted the attention of the once sleeping Theo

AFTER a handful of mouthy yells, Adeline had finally alerted the attention of the once sleeping Theo. And by the time the child ran off to gather Rick and Daryl, Tyreese had the woman pushed up against the brick wall with a look of anger taking over his features. He didn't lay a hand on her, but Adeline was frozen with both shock and a small hint of fear which restricted her from making any moves. "Ty... you have to listen to me. I promise you, I wouldn't do this. Karen was my friend and so was David." She spoke, her voice wavering over a whisper as the metal door to the small secluded courtyard swung open and three figures rushed in.

When their eyes drifted over to the two burning corpses on the ground, they quickly registered what was happening. Daryl rested his hand on the hilt of his hunting knife, watching with careful eyes as Adeline silently gestured to them that she was fine. Rick stood closely behind Tyreese's figure, a protective look in his eyes as Carol lingered behind the men with a surprised expression. "If you could just take a second, look around. We can figure this out, okay? We can figure out who did this." Adeline whispered, her eyes remaining glued to her grieving friend.

"What is there to figure out?!" Tyreese roared, his voice cracking with grief as he stepped closer to the woman. "I came out here and there you stood... next to a gas can! Karen and David are dead! And yet your little girl is still alive! Tell me how that doesn't make you guilty, huh? Tell me!" He snapped, his hand curling into a fist as Adeline felt her heartbeat quicken in her chest. "You did this! You killed them!" Tyreese continued, keeping the woman pressed up against the wall with his words of hate and grief.

"Listen to me, I know exactly how you feel right now━"

"You have no idea what this feels like!" He screamed, his voice alone causing unwanted memories to cascade through Adeline's mind like a waterfall. Feeling her eyes sting with tears, she faltered in her step and moved slightly just as her brother took a step forward and began speaking ━━ "Actually, Tyreese, she does." Rick informed with a guilty voice, looking to his sister. "Walk us through what happened, we can help you." He added.

Tyreese shifted on his feet and looked back, giving Adeline a moment to duck underneath his arm and escape the space that he had forced her into. The combat boots she wore scuffed against the concrete, figure stumbling towards Carol who reached out and pulled the woman behind her protectively as Daryl stepped closer to the two of them. "You two found them like this?" Rick spoke to the man full of grief, easing the heavy and thick tension in the air.

"I came to see Karen." Tyreese informed, "And I saw the... I saw the blood on the floor. Then I smelled them." He continued, his eyes turning to the nurse who stood behind Carol. "You dragged them out here and set them on fire!" He roared, voice full of pent up anger and sudden grief. Adeline shook her head in denial, "I didn't. I was asleep. I woke up to the smell, it wasn't but a minute later when you came out here." She assured, her voice pleading.