xli. king county

FORTY ONE. king county

     THE abrupt stop of the vehicle caused Adeline to jerk awake, her head resting against the car window

THE abrupt stop of the vehicle caused Adeline to jerk awake, her head resting against the car window. The brief awakening reminded her of what vehicle she was in- the teal Hyundai that Shane fixed up on the highway, and the only reason that she was in it was because Rick decided to take a trip to their hometown in search of weapons for their war with Woodbury.

King County. A place the widow never thought she would have to visit again. Her nephew sat next to her in the car, a comic book in his hands. Michonne stopped the vehicle, bringing her along was a test to see if she was good for the group. Although Adeline already believed she was, Rick (who rode passenger) still needed to be convinced.

Opening her eyes, a yawn left her chapped lips as she stretched her arms out and looked outside of the window layered with dust and grime. Almost immediately, the buildings around registered as familiar to her attentive eyes. "That was quick." Adeline mumbled, running a hand over her face before opening her door.

"I drive fast." Michonne spoke, a small smile resting against her lips as the widow chuckled. Turning around, Adeline grabbed her machete from the cars floor and slid it into its sheath before shoving the door shut with her knee. "And I slept most of the way," The widow added.

"You really think all those guns are still gonna be there?" Adeline questioned, changing the subject and nearing her brother with squinted eyes from the bright sun. "It's been a year since we've been here." She continued.

Rick shrugged his shoulders, pulling the door to the police station open as Carl and Michonne followed closely behind the siblings. "I'm the only one with a key," He reminded, glancing at his sister.

"Nu-uh." Adeline corrected, "You gave Morgan one."

"Don't jinx us." Rick mumbled, motioning for the three of them to get behind him as they neared the corner that led them into the weapons locker. Adeline unholstered her pistol, quietly and carefully pulling the chamber back.

Rounding the corner and filtering into the room that used to be filled to the brim with weapons, a sigh mixed with disappointment and frustration toppled from Rick Grimes lips. Adeline lowered her pistol, blowing a puff of air out of her mouth as she took in the completely empty locker.

"Well then." The widow muttered, sliding her gun back into its holster as she crossed her arms over her chest.

Rick walked further into the cage, angrily kicking one of the lockers - the metal clanging loudly against the concrete floor as Adeline flinched in fear at the harsh movement. "Hey, calm down." She assured, Michonne and Carl falling in her step as they all entered the cage.