xxxii. killer within

THIRTY TWO. killer within

A week had passed since the death of Tomas

A week had passed since the death of Tomas. Nothing had changed, all except that there were now two prisoners living in the cell block next to them instead of five. The cut on her thigh from her machete had scabbed over, only every so often receiving a slight ache of pain. Hershel had become conscious, Adeline basically living in the same cell with him to constantly check in on his amputation. It was healing better than expected, the elder already wanting to get up and move around the prison.

In his words, he had memorized the number of steps it took for his "nurse" to walk from her cell to his in the middle of the night to make sure he took his medicine. Beth helped the most, seeing as she slept on the bunk above her father. Over the week, Adeline had spent most of her days talking to the teen and grew closer with her. She started to believe that Beth was similar to Daryl in the ways of not talking about the death of Shane. In return, she found herself being incredibly grateful.

Day 309 of the end of the world was the day when the cleanup of the courtyard began. Finish burning all of the dead bodies and move the vehicles in case there was a means for an escape. Their biggest problem was the flipped over prison bus, which they took care of by pushing it with T-Dogs beloved truck he had fixed up over the time on the road. The vehicles were scattered all over the yard, parked in numerous places which screamed that the place was full of people - and that happened to be the last thing they wanted other survivors to think.

Adeline stood with her hand over her eyes, looking around at the bodies littering the courtyard. "Where's Glenn and Mags? We could use their help." She questioned, breaking through the silence of bird chirping and frogs croaking loudly in the creek next to the prison.

"Up in the guard tower." Daryl was the first to respond, standing next to Carol who smartly wore a head scarf to protect her skin from the scolding sun.

Adeline wore Shanes police hat atop her head, her brown hair sticking through the back in a ponytail. Rick shifted on his feet, tearing his eyes away from the hat before looking up - "Guard tower?" He questioned with squinted eyes, "They were just up there last night."

Feeling a slight nudge to her arm, the Walsh girl turned around at the sight of T handing her a water bottle just as Daryl called out to the couple in the tower. Curling her fingers around the bottle, she smiled kindly at the man before unscrewing the lid. "Thanks, T." Adeline spoke after gulping down a portion of the liquid before handing it back to him.

Looking back to the tower, the metal door creaked open as a shirtless Glenn peeked out of the door. "Hey, what's up guys?" He laughed nervously, observant eyes taking notice of a messy haired Maggie behind him.

The group of five standing against the gravel chuckled at the sight, obviously knowing what the couple had done. Adeline hid her laughter with the palm of her hand, the expression being one she hadn't truly felt in a while. Her eyes trailed over to Daryl who shifted on his feet, "You coming?"