xxxiv. sweet cheeks

THIRTY FOUR. sweet cheeks

     Boots clashed with the thick concrete padding that made the prisons flooring as Adeline stepped foot into the small cafeteria like room outside of the cell block

Boots clashed with the thick concrete padding that made the prisons flooring as Adeline stepped foot into the small cafeteria like room outside of the cell block. With Daryl at her side and the duffle bag full of baby supplies in his hand, she spared a glance over to Carl who cradled the newborn in his arms. Fixing her grip on her own bag filled with items, she adverted her eyes and watched as Beth quickly fixed a bottle.

When the child let out a loud cry that bounced off of the walls, the widow shifted on her feet uncomfortably and moved farther away from the wailing infant. Hershel took notice of her movements while Daryl grabbed the bottle out of Beths hands and scooped the baby up in his arms with a soft smile. Glenn entered the room, Oscar and Axel quick on his tail with kind eyes which sprouted confusion in Adelines stomach at the sight.

The crying ceased as Daryl placed the bottle into the infants mouth, relieved smiles lacing all of the survivors lips but cautiously staying away from Adelines. The absence of Rick wasn't spoken upon, but the thought seemed to be the last one on the woman's mind while the redneck fed the baby. "She got a name yet?" Daryl broke the silence, casting his eyes to Carl who stood by him.

The boy shook his head - "Not yet." he answered truthfully as Adeline tiredly placed her own duffle bag against the metal table and leaned against it. Her nephew continued with his words, "But I was thinking maybe Sophia. Then there's Carol, too. And... Andrea, Amy, Jacqui, Patricia, or Lori. I- I don't know." Carl spoke, his words causing his aunt to look to him with eyes filled by guilt and regret.

Pursing his lips, Daryl smiled down at the baby in order to brighten the mood. "You like that? Huh? Little ass kicker." He joked, causing light laugher to be passed around the room. The redneck looked around, taking notice of the empty look in Adelines eyes. "Right? That's a good name, right? Little ass kicker. You like that, huh? You like that, sweetheart?" He cooed softly.

Pushing herself off of the table, the widow curled her fingers around the duffle bag and took a step towards the gate that would lead her into the cell block. Before she could make any progress, a voice stopped her from within the chuckles around the room. "You wanna hold her?" Daryl questioned, causing her to stop in her steps.

Looking back to the group, who now had all of their expecting eyes on the woman, Adeline ran a hand through her hair before shaking her head. That was Shanes baby. The moment you lay your eyes on its face, you'll see him. Her thoughts were haunting as she spoke, "No. No, I'm good." She assured quietly, turning around to enter the cell block.

"Who's on watch tonight?" Maggie's voice broke out, causing the widow to stop in her steps again. Breathing deeply, Adeline turned around to face the survivors. "I don't know. Whoever Rick wants, I guess." She shrugged, picking at the skin surrounding her nails anxiously.