xxv. the shootout

TWENTY FIVE. the shootout

The two men had sat down with the four survivors, Adeline stood behind the bar with Glenn

The two men had sat down with the four survivors, Adeline stood behind the bar with Glenn. Her elbows pressed against the counter with one of her throwing knives in between her fingers, the sharp blade twisting into the surface. Her eyes were glued to the man sitting down at one of the tables, the other in a stool next to Hershel with his eyes glued to her body.

"I'm Dave," The one sitting alone spoke as Rick handed him a shot glass and poured liquor into it. He pointed to the other who sent lustful looks Adelines way, "That scrawny-looking douche bag there is Tony." He informed.

Tony chuckled at the joke, reluctantly taking his eyes off of the woman. He clearly wasn't scrawny, but the joke failed to make Adeline laugh due to the bad feeling twisting around her gut. "Eat me, Dave." He joked back.

"Hey, maybe someday I will." Dave chuckled, turning his head back to the shot Rick had poured him. "We met on I-95 coming out of Philly. Damn shit show that was." He told the group, a smile lacing his lips to lighten the mood.

The boy next to Addy laughed breathlessly, "I'm Glenn. It's nice to meet some new people," He introduced. Watching as her brother retreated back to the bar where she stood, the pounding of her heart calmed slightly. "Rick Grimes," He informed while curling his hands around a shot glass.

"What about you, sweetie?" Tony licked his lips while eyeing the woman who leaned against the bar. Adeline reluctantly turned her head to face the man, "What about me?" She retorted - not giving out any information about herself as she dug the knife deeper into the surface.

Dave laughed at her words, "Come on, save that for later, Tony." He instructed before placing his eyes onto Hershel - "What about you, pal? Have one?" He questioned, motioning to the shot glass in his hand.

"I just quit." He answered, his once neatly gelled back hair messily tossed around due to sweat. "You got a unique sense of timing, my friend." Dave retorted, tracing the rim of his shot glass.

Looking in between the harsh look Adeline kept with the bar and her knife, Rick furrowed his brows. "Her names Adeline, he's Hershel." He informed after a few seconds of thought - his sister looking up at him with a face threaded by frustration at his words. He motioned for her to calm down, turning back to Dave, "He lost people today, a lot of them." He continued.

"I'm truly sorry to hear that," The man replied, raising his glass up. "To better days and new friends. And to our dead - may they be in a better place." He toasted before tossing the drink back into his mouth and gulping it down. The group (excluding Hershel and Adeline) copied his actions and drank what little they had in their glasses.

While Dave leaned over to lay his cup onto the table, Adeline's sharp eyes caught the glimmering metal of the gun tucked in his jeans. She shifted on her feet at this, straightening her back and tightening the grip she held on her knife. He noticed her actions and pulled the gun out of his jeans, "Not bad, huh?" He asked, showing it off to the group. "I got it off a cop."