xxii. we must be killers

TWENTY TWO. we must be killers

     An awkward dinner took place a few nights ago, the women of the group cooking up a rather tasty meal for the Greene family

An awkward dinner took place a few nights ago, the women of the group cooking up a rather tasty meal for the Greene family. Though, Adeline failed to see the generosity seeing as they were using their food to cook the meal that was supposed to express their gratitude. Laying flat on her back with her eyes glued to the nylon ceiling, she felt Shane shift next to her and tighten his arms around her waist. She had been awake for at least thirty minutes, but she knew the lack of sleep that both she and her husband had been receiving was putting a damper on their moods. Allowing him to get just a few minutes of extra sleep brought her more comfort than she thought it would, even if his arms were secured tightly against her waist and every so often pulling her body closer to his own.

The day was planned to be filled with gun training and more searches for Sophia. The two of them were assigned to go together, and while she laid in the uncomfortable cot she thought of ways to get out of it. Not that she wanted to - but that she needed to. Adeline had noticed the change in Glenn's attitude, and he had mentioned to her that he needed to talk before she went to bed last night. But due to Shane being Shane, he wanted her by his side when he slept. Something about knowing she was safe when she was with him, that he needed to know. The same excuse.

Adeline worried the real reason was that he was afraid she was going to tell everyone about the murder they committed. But, she wouldn't. She couldn't ruin the peace and calamity the group had at the farmhouse. If the Greene family knew about her and her husbands' crime, it would possibly jeopardize the sense of safety and security they had gained. Although she wanted nothing more but to wash away from the sins she was forced into, Adeline zipped her mouth shut and threw away the key. To keep her family and the people she started to care about safe - she would do anything.

"You okay?" The groggy voice of her husband pulled her out of the daydream of security, head-turning to the side with faded eyes. Adeline nodded slowly to assure him, but she knew Shane would be the last to believe her facade because he had to play the same cards as she.

Watching as he uncurled his arms from around her and raised up, he pressed a kiss to her forehead before crawling over her body and standing to the fabricated ground. Adeline sat up and pressed her back against the wall of the tent, "Do you still need me to go with you today?" She questioned in hopes of him letting her stay.

Shane furrowed his eyebrows as he slipped the dark brown shirt over his bare chest. "I don't want you staying here with just them. We don't know what these people are capable of." He replied while grabbing his tan cargo pants and slipping them up on his legs. "You're coming."

Standing up from the cot, the thin sheet fell from her body to reveal her exposed legs. "Yeah, the grandpa and widow's gonna kill me." Adeline rolled her eyes at her husband before curling her fingers around the clean pile of clothes next to the blue crate. The sight of it made her mind flashback to the walker that attacked her back at the quarry, the electrical lantern falling to the ground and leaving her in the dark to fight for her life. Snapping out of the memory, she held the clothes to her chest before turning to her husband. "You don't have to worry so much."