Chapter 1

Fall 2017 - Rome, Italy

The hustle and bustle of people walking around the Colosseum enters the calms of my mind. It is nice to draw the landscape around the greatest landmark in the world, while listening to the busy street. It is an accurate cure for my evil-spirited anxiety that keeps whispering my unworthiness in my mind as if I don't know it.

"I know I'm shit. Shut up." I whispered angrily under my breath as I try to calm myself from the mean whispers that slowly creeping into my brain. I unconsciously start wiping my silent tears that unknowingly has fell down my eyes to prevent them from wetting my unfinished sketch of the Colosseum.

I draw a few more strokes to enhance the lining of the clouds in the sky.

Beautiful. I thought to myself. Unlike me. I finished rather grimly.

I direct my attention to my sketch, "You are beautiful art. Never let anyone tells you otherwise." I admire it proudly, and then proceed to caress the outline of the scenery.

Truth is, people might think it was a weird practice to praise an art they just made. For me, I always thought that everything has a soul and I want all beings to know at least one person in this universe care and find them beautiful even when nobody else does.

"I agree. It's beautiful." Said a stranger with a smirk who proceeds to sit next to me, while continuing to look at my art work.

"What a narcissist, but at least her drawing is good"  The stranger must have thought.

"Ah... thanks" I said awkwardly as I scratch the back of my neck, hoping alien suddenly abducting me.

"I don't mean to sound too narcissistic. I just want the sketch to know that even if nobody finds it attractive, I find it special nevertheless." I defended myself.

I close my sketch book, so the stranger won't find the faults in my arts and start criticizing it. I pack all my stuff up and I get ready to move.

Suddenly realizing his mistake, the stranger move to prevent me from leaving. "Please sit, I don't mean any offense. It is really beautiful and I have mistaken your intention."

I start to calm my anxiety and proceed to sit. Well perhaps this time I would make a friend to distract me from my negative thoughts. 

I start to really look at him for the first time. Beautiful eyes, unnaturally pale skin, with a handsome face met my gaze.

A work of art with a hint of vitamin D deficiency. Nice. I thought to myself.

I gave up any notion of romance and love a long time ago. Hence, his good looks doesn't faze me or make my heart beat to be honest. I just appreciate it like a good art in a museum, pleasant in the eyes but I know I can't take home. Plus, I don't trust people that much. The lesson I learned in life is that when I care for someone too deeply, they would hold much power over me. However, a good conversation partner to brush up my Italian wouldn't hurt though.

"Oh, sorry I didn't mean to be rude by leaving when you just wanted to chat. Are you a tourist?" I ask the man.

"I grew up in Florence, but now I'm a fellow tourist in Roma." The stranger reply. He grins freely as if finding out we have a thing in common pleases him.

Well who am I kidding? It pleases me too to find a fellow tourist, so I grin back at him.

"How long will you be staying here?" His eyes gazing at me curiously, and... was that hope I see twinkling in his eyes?