Chapter 28

TW: domestic abuse 

About a week after your return, Kylo appointed you a class aid to help distribute the burdens of running the facility. You weren't a part of the selection process, but trusted your husband's judgement and knew he would find someone suitable for the position. The day your aid arrived was like a breath of fresh air. 

His name was Jafan and you quickly established a great working relationship. He was slightly older, tall and tanned, with thick blonde hair. Shining blue eyes that always looked so happy. Any woman would easily consider him very attractive. Jafan was very much like you; he wanted to help the next generation grow as strong as they can be which meant he was just as passionate about your work. Having someone around to help allowed you to focus more on the children and their education instead of worrying with administrative nonsense.

Kylo had yet to visit the class since your aid had arrived; he had become extremely busy training soldiers for new ranks within the army and couldn't spare the time during the day. You wanted them to meet, wanting Kylo to appreciate and respect the person who had been helping you so much over the past weeks. Jafan had really facilitated your success in the new position and you thought he deserved recognition for his work.

It was just a normal day in the classroom. Basic weapons training had finished and the younglings wanted to hear a story before they returned home to their families. Reading to them was your favourite part of the job, and so you were more than happy to oblige. 

You walked over to the bookshelf, eyes scanning the vast array of stories on offer. Settling on the one on wanted, your small frame began to stretch up in an attempt to grab the book from its high perch. After visibly struggling for a moment, you felt a gentle arm wrap around your waist as Jafan came to stand beside you. His free hand reaching effortlessly above you to retrieve the book you couldn't get to. You smiled and blushed, eyes looking down at the floor before looking back up at the man in front of you. "Struggling there, madam?" He smiled and handed you the book, arm on your waist not moving. Before you could speak, a loud knock at the door made you jump and spin towards to entrance. Your husband stood in the doorway; arms crossed over his chest with a cold expression on his face. His brow raised slightly as Jafan moved backwards from you, bowing as Kylo walked over.

"My love I didn't know you were coming today, I'm so glad you're here." You smiled and wrapped your arms around his neck, his instinctively crossing behind your hips. His eyes didn't leave the man stood behind you, even when you placed a soft peck on his lips. "You can finally meet Jafan, the class aid I've told you so much about." Hold on you falling, Kylo walked over to the man and once again crossed his arms over his chest. No matter how tall Jafan was, his frame looked tiny compared to your husband. 

"So... you're the one who spends all day with my wife? Seems you feel awfully comfortable with your hands on her." 

Eyes darting towards the children and then back to the exchange, you quickly intervened. Standing by Kylo's side with a hand sliding across his back, you rubbed soft circles trying to calm him down. "Darling play nice. Jafan was simply helping me reach something from these ridiculously high shelves. The children wanted to hear a story and you know how much I love to read to them." Kylo looked down at you by his side, seeing the warm smile on your face made him relax slightly. He looked around to the children gathered on the floor, eagerly waiting for a story to be read. 

A smile grew on his face as he looked down at them. "Ok pet, you go read to them. I'll wait for you to finish and then we can head home." He kissed your cheek and took a seat to the side of the room, watching as you sat at the front of the class and began reading. Jafan remained stood by the bookshelf, watching as you began the story. The feeling of both men staring at you made your focus break for a moment, a nervous energy rising in your stomach as you tried to concentrate on the children and the story.