Chapter 14

Hey everyone! Really sorry I'm late updating, I've been going through a lot of personal struggles and my motivation for anything fun has disappeared. To make it up to y'all, I'll be uploading 2 chapters today! Hope you enjoy, love you guys! 

****************************************************************************

The announcement of your engagement sparked parties and celebrations throughout the Order and its territories. There was a genuine respect and adoration for yourself and the emperor.

The streets lined with well-wishers every time you ventured out, people showering you in praise and wishing you the best for the future. Kylo finally felt relaxed enough to let you go out on your own; the engagement response made him feel secure enough in his people to trust them with his most prized possession once again. Each time you went into town, for business or simply leisure, your smile shone brighter and you heart filled with such pride.

The ring was everything you could've dreamed of; made from the finest silver, laced with gold streaks leading up to the beautiful red jewel at the centre. It represented him; it represented your love. At every opportunity, you were thrilled to show it off and to allow people to see how much you truly meant to your love. Women would swoon at the mere sight of such a gorgeous ring, some even turning to scowl their own husbands for not performing so well. Everyone was so happy for you. Well, nearly everyone.

As you sat by the fountain reading to the merchant's children; their parents busying themselves within the market, you noticed Thomas watching you from afar. You smiled and waved, beckoning him over as you finished your story for the younglings. "No babysitter today then?" His words felt cold, harsh. Nothing like you'd seen from him before. 

"Excuse me?" Your brow furrowed, smile quickly disappearing and a frown took its place. "I don't have a babysitter, and I don't think you should take that tone about the emperor." Your arms crossed, cape flowing in the breeze, wrapping around your legs as you studied the expression on the man in front of you.

His eyes moved to your hands, examining the ring on your finger. "I heard the news. Shocked me, to be honest. Thought you had more sense than to lock yourself up." His words frustrated you; everyone had been so kind and so congratulatory. You didn't expect your ex-lover to jump for joy, but you thought at least he'd be happy for you. "You really want to spend the rest of your life as a lap dog? Never really being in control of yourself, never knowing freedom again?" His arms mirrored yours, crossing against his chest as he watched for your reaction. Stepping towards him, your arms fell to your sides and fists clenched.

"I really think you should consider what you're saying here, Thomas..." his name left your tongue as though you were spitting poison. He simply laughed and took in your appearance. 

"Wow, he really is inside your head. You almost sound just like him; all you need is a mask." He laughed once more and stepped towards you, running his hand down the fabric of your cape hanging from your shoulders. "I know you... I know this costume isn't you. I know this life isn't you." He sighed, and whispered your name, coming dangerously close. You wanted to step back, but also didn't want to back down under the pressure he was exuding. "Run away with me.... let me take you away from all of this. We'll start again, and you can have the life you really deserve." You were shocked, hands lying flat on his chest as you pushed him backwards.

"I can't believe you, how... are you actually crazy?" You shook your head and turned to the side, eyes looking into the water rippling from the fountain. "This is my home; these are my people. I love this life and the man that gives it to me. You know he'd kill you where you stand if he heard any of what you just said." Your head shook once again, arms crossing as you turned back to Thomas. "I love Kylo, more than anyone will ever know or understand. Gods, more than I can understand!" Your voice raised slightly, causing a few concerned looks from passers-by. "He can hear me, you know. He can always hear me, and I can guarantee he's on his way here now because he would never allow this..." as you spoke, a hand met the bottom of your spine, causing you to flinch and your head to dart towards the culprit. The modulator masking the pure rage you could feel emitting from his body.