our rainbow

red

the bright, angry splash of our blood, spilling across the pages of history like an overturned inkwell. you cannot deny your actions. you cannot deny the stain that our iron-filled crimson has left on the fabric of time. all we ask is to live, but you won't even give us that.

orange

the melancholy sadness that lurks in our hearts. that pains and pasts that haunt us, even as we lie and sup with our chosen families. we shouldn't have to have chosen families. our families should've chosen us.

yellow

the sparks that fly when we use our voices and speak up. we exist. we will not be stifled. and yet, despite our words and our marches, despite the progress we have made, it is never enough. the dead won't be brought back by our bravery now. it's our job to make sure that there aren't any more going forward.

green

the shades that our faces turn as we sit around dinner tables with people who would hate us if they knew who we were. chairs screeching back, we run to the bathrooms with excuses bubbling from our lips like the fine champagne that will bubble from yours as the night goes on and you celebrate your cruelty.

blue

the color our faces turn as we struggle for one last breath, praying that the ropes around our necks will loosen their hold on us for just a second. society is choking us, sucking the very air from our lungs with its poisonous ideals and radical efforts at stamping out our flame. we cannot breathe.

purple

the color of the bruises that your hatred has inflicted upon the skin of our people. the vile glances and snide remarks. the "be who you are"s coupled with the thousands of queer people dead or dying because they did just that.