chapter fifteen: beneath the surface

"beneath the surface"

teegschwendner

"welcome to teegschwendner. are you ready to order?"

in a bid to keep up with rent and manage the growing stack of unpaid bills at home, you had taken on extra shifts during your lesson breaks. it was a juggling act, but every minute you spent serving in that café was a step closer to making ends meet.

"sure. a passion tango herbal tea, an espresso macchiato, and an iced coffee americano, coming right up."

with a quick pivot, you glid toward the counter, your uniform neatly pressed, and your movements fluid as you placed the orders in the queue.

as you handed off the requests to a colleague, a wave of relief washed over you. the café was a welcome escape from the intense scrutiny of levi ackerman. his gaze often felt like it was peering through me, dissecting your every move and thought.

yet, even in that cosy corner of the world, your head was plagued with thoughts of him—and that unexpected kiss. it was a distraction you could hardly afford, but the memory of his lips against your cheek kept resurfacing, a tantalizing enigma you couldn't quite decipher.

levi had always been the epitome of stoic and distant.

the fake dating arrangement between the two of you was supposed to be a mere formality—a practical solution to ward off unwanted attention, particularly from jean. but that kiss? that was an entirely different story, something you hadn't anticipated.

and as you saw how jean stood there, visibly seething with irritation, you couldn't suppress a small, almost guilty spark of satisfaction. for once, it wasn't you on the defensive, and you weren't the one grappling with jean's obnoxious advances.

levi had taken control of the situation with an effortless ease that was both surprising and oddly admirable.

just as you were beginning to let go of the whirlwind, a loud crash jerked you back to reality.