Chapter Forty Eight

Dean was sitting at the table in their hotel room as Sam was on the phone and Liddy was sleepily scribbling on paper. Dean had spent 2 hours trying to get her to sleep but she was fighting it so he's patiently waiting for her to nod off on her own. He knows well enough the more you try to force her, the more gets, the more she fights actully going to sleep.

Dean watched as liddy's head bobbed up and down in her attempt to stay awake while listen as Sam said "no, dad was in California last we heard from him. No, no she's fine. We just thought that he comes to you for munitions, maybe you seen him in the last few weeks. Just give us a call if you hear anything, thanks."

Dean looked over at him as he hung up "Caleb hasn't herd anything?" Sam sighed "nope. Neither has Jefferson or pastor Jim. Although pastor Jim did say if we need him to watch Liddy for us at some point, he can. What about the journal? Any leads in there?" Dean shook his head "no. Same as last time I looked. Nothing I can make out."

Dean sighed "I love the guy, but he writes like friggen today." Sam didn't looked at Dean knowing he wasn't going to like what he said "maybe we should call the feds. File a missing persons." Dean cut him off annoyed "we talked about this. Dad would be pissed if we put the feds on his tail."

Sam cut him off pissed "I don't care anymore. After all that happened back in Kansas. I mean, he should've been there Dean! You said so yourself! You tried to call him and nothing!'

Right then the phone starting ringing so dean got up to try and find it while replying "I know but get you not raise your damn voice. She's starting to dose off and I've been trying to get her to sleep for hours. I don't need you going off on a rant and making her more awake so just shut up for a minute.... where the hell is my cell phone?"

As deans looking for his phone, Sam argued back in his stubborn head space "you know, he could be dead for all we know!" Dean tried to cut him off quickly "don't say that! He's not dead and you don't damn well say something like that around her" dean pointed towards Liddy who was now looking at them.

Dean saw her face starting to scrunch up and knew it was to late. quickly dean went to pick up Liddy as she starts crying Dean bounces her as he tries to go back to searching for his phone before it stopped ringing "shush baby. It's ok. He's... he's...." Sam cut dean off "he's what? He's hiding? He's busy?"

Dean didn't bother to even answer him when he finally phone the phone. He quickly flipped it open right as it stopped ringing. He stared at the screen to see it's from an unavailable number but has coordinates. It was from their dad. "Look  was just from daddy. See he's ok." Dean looked over her head at Sam as he say that, trying to show how pissed he was at him for setting her off.

Sam sighed and got up from the bed to get his laptop as Dean continued to try and calm Liddy down. Luckily she was, and was more just sniffling now. Once sam had his laptop open, dean set his phone down beside him so he could see the message.

Sam typed away "you think dad was texting us?" Dean was bouncing Liddy while pacing as he replied "he's given us coordinates before." Sam snarked back "the man can barely work a toaster dean." Dean was getting really pissed with Sam "Sam, this is good news. It means he's ok. Or alive, at least." Sam didn't care "well was there a number on the caller I.D?"

Dean rolled his eyes as he motioned his head towards the phone beside sam. Sam huffed and picked up. Dean was finally getting Liddy to settle and she was even starting to nod off as he asked Sam "so where do the coordinates point?" Sam frowned "Rockford, Illinois.....ok.... that's interesting how?"

Dean flipped their dad's journal open while saying "check the local Rockford paper." As he was flipping through Sam said "take a look at this. This cop, Walter Kelly, he comes home from his shift, shoots his wife then puts the gun in his mouth, blows his brains out. And earlier that night, Kelly and his partner responded to a call at Roosevelt asylum.... what does this have to do with us?"

Dean finds the page he was looking for while trying not to drop a now sleeping toddler in his other arm, he turns the book so Sam can read it "dad earmarked the same asylum in his journal. Here, seven unconfirmed sightings. Two deaths. Till last week, at least. I think this is where he wants us to go."

Sam scoffed "this is a job.... dad wants us to work a job." Dean tries to reason with Sam "yeah, maybe we'll meet up with him. Maybe he's there." Sam didn't believe him "maybe he's not. I mean he could be sending us there by ourselves to hunt this thing." Dean shrugged it off "who cares? If he wants us there, it's good enough for me."

Sam frowned at him "this doesn't strike you as weird? The texting? The coordinates? Sending us on a hunt with a toddler...his toddler.. you know the dangers?" Dean cut him off "Sam..... dad's telling us to go somewhere. We're going. He knows I'll never let anything happen to her. I'd give my life for her. He knows that." Dean walks away from Sam to start trying to pack their stuff although he has a hard time doing that since he hadn't put Liddy down and was afraid if he did she would wake back up again.

Sam took a few seconds but he sucked it up and walked over to help Dean pack. With his help that got it done quickly and left for Rockford, Illinois.

.....

When they arrived, they quickly tracked down where that could find the victims partner and made up a plan that would hopefully get him to tell them some details. Liddy was awake as they talked, playing with her stuffies until Dean turned to her "ok mini, here's the plan. Me and Sammy are going to go inside for a couple seconds, and then I'll be right back out here with you while we wait for sammy. Can you be a good girl for a couple minutes?"

Liddy smiled big at him nodding quickly "I pway hewe. Gow be bwig boys." Sam and dean just stared at his really they couldn't understand the babble she just said but dean pretend he did "good girl. We'll be right back."

Sam and dean got out and headed inside. Within seconds Liddy herd the familiar flapping and looked up to see her friend "yay!" He laughed "sorry it's been a little while. Lots of big boy stuff." Liddy nodded seriously as if she understood but didn't really.

He picked up her moose and started making moo noises while tickling her with her stuffed. She giggled and wriggled in her car seat, happy to be playing with him again.

But the real truth was that he had a hard time finding her. For some reason, she had all of a sudden fallen off all angel radars. The others were frantically trying to find her but he didn't give anything away when he managed to find her.

As they played, he noticed a necklace peaking from her top. He tried to touch it but it burnt him. He pulled his hand back hissing. Liddy looked at him sadly "oh nooooo. Otay?" He just smiled at her gently, not wanting her to see his shock. "That's a pretty looking necklace, can you show me?"

Liddy beamed at the though and started playing with it where he could see it. She has quickly became distracted with her necklace and forgot that she was playing and showing him. He knew what it was right away though it made it hard for him to keep her safe, he also knew it would hopefully keep either side from being able to find her. Before he could say anything to her though, he felt dean was about to exit the bar so he quickly disappeared.

Dean got into his seat and looked back at Liddy to see her happily playing with her necklace that Missouri had given her. He quickly reached over and grabbed her dragon and started pretending to attack her with it "rawr." Earning little squeals of joy from her.