Chapter Fourty

Sam found a college not far where they could go find out more about the bones. As they pulled up, dean couldn't help himself but checkout all the young hot college chicks. Sam took off his jacket and put it over the top of the box so they didn't freak anyone out with the bones. Dean walked around to the back where he could grab Liddy. She was still fast asleep so he tried to be careful and not wake her up. As soon as she was in his arms though, she just cuddled in and fell deeper asleep so they had no worries.

Sam caught up with dean as they started making there way through the college "so a bunch of skeletons in an unmarked grave." Dean nodded "yeah, well. Maybe this is a haunting. Pissed off spirits. Maybe some unfinished business?"sam nodded "yeah maybe. The question is, why bugs? And why now?" Dean smirked "well that's two questions... hey, do with that kid back there.... how could you tell him to just ditch his family like that?" Dean frowned.

Sam shrugged "just ah, I know what the kids going through." Dean shook his head "how about telling him to respect his old man? How's that for advice?" Sam laughed "Dean come on. This isn't about his old man. You think I didn't respect dad. That's what this is about." Dean was silent for a few minutes but looked down at the sleeping toddler in his arms and decided he didn't want to fight with him right now. "Let's forget about it. Sorry I brought it up."

Sam didn't let it go though "I respected him. But no matter what I did, it was never good enough." Dean frowned "so what are you saying? Dad was disappointed in you?" Sam scoffed "was? More like is. Always has been." Dean shook his head "why would you think that?" Sam shrugged "because I didn't wanna bow hunt. Or hustle pool. Because I wanted to go to school and live my life. Which in our whacked out family, made me the freak."

Dean smirked " yeah, you were kind of like the blond chick in 'the munsters'" Sam didn't like deans joke "Dean, you know what most dads are when their kids score a full ride?...proud. Most dads don't toss their kids out of the house." Dean staired Sam down "I remember that fight. In fact I seem to recall a few choice phrases coming out of your mouth."

Sam shook his head not wanting to admit his wrong doings in the hole situation "you know, truth is, when we finally do find dad....I don't know if he's even gonna wanna see me." This pissed dean off in many ways. He tried to keep a neutral face as he spoke "Sam, dad was never disappointed in you. Never. He was scared."

Sam shook his head "what are you talking about?" Dean continued "he was afraid of what could've happened to you if he wasn't around. But even when you two weren't talking....he used to swing by standford whenever he could. Keep an eye on you. Make sure you were safe." Sam was shocked "what?" Dean nodded and you could see the hurt in his eyes after everything Sam had said "yeah..." Sam got defensive "why didn't he tell me any of that."

Dean took a deep breath "well, it's a two-way street dude. You could have picked up the phone....." Sam was quiet and dead didn't want to keep this conversation going any longer. "Come on, we're gonna be late for our appointment." He turned and started walking.

When Sam caught up with him he said lowly "and I don't ever want you talking about dad that way in front of her. You keep your opinion about him to yourself. She loves him and I don't want you affection how she see's him just by your feelings. She's too young and impressionable. Let her have her own thoughts and feeling about him."

Sam didn't reply as they made there way into the building.

...

They made it to their appointment and handed over to bones so they could be looked at. They were told to wait in one of the class rooms. Things were still a bit awkward between the boys so that sat in different rows. Dean had Liddy cuddled up close to him with her blanket wrapped around her. He soft little snores are all that can be herd. He watched her carefully as she sleep peacefully.