Chapter twenty-seven

•★ Tex ★•

Is this a bad idea?

Might be. I'm not exactly known for brilliant decision making. Still, I have to do this. Ellie wants to talk later today and I have nothing else to do this afternoon. Maybe she's gonna forgive me or maybe she's gonna tell me who the father is.

My heart tells me it's mine—of course it is. On the other hand, I gave her multiple opportunities to correct me and she hasn't. If my gut-feeling is right and I'm gonna be a father, that means I missed out on a lot of things already. Ellie is too pure a person to do that to me.

What if I'm getting my hopes up for nothing? What if she really slept with someone else? My heart won't be able to survive that kind of disappointment.

Jesus Christ!

What if that guy wants to play a fatherly role? Sane behavior is not my best quality. I will definitely punch him in the face and then he will get a restraining order against me.

Stop overthinking.

I shake it all off. Whatever happens, I hope to add some good news to the conversation.

With my hands in my pockets, I stare at the venue across the street. The Red Amsterdam. A strip club, for sure. I really don't wanna go in there, but it's the only clue I have. With a sigh, I pull my hoodie over my head. No way I'm getting recognized.

The bouncer, a bold fucker who basically fills the entire doorframe, nods at me when I walk up to him. "Hey, I'm looking for a girl."

He raises a brow. "That's our core business."

Right.

"I'm looking for one girl in particular. She has platinum blond hair and fake tits."

With his head tilted, he observes my face. "Are you slow or something? You're standing in front of a strip club. At least half the girls are blonds and have their chests done."

I exhale in frustration. What else do I know? Fucking think. Do I know her name? No, I don't ... or do I? "I think her name starts with a ... C?"

Cathy? Camilla? Colliflower?

"That narrows it down a little." He puts his finger on his chin and glances up. "We have Charity, Coco, and Cinnamon."

Fucking hell. Creativity is dead and buried six pedicured feet under. I rack my brain but none of them sound remotely familiar. "Are you sure there's no one else?"

His square Lombroso face suddenly lights up. "How could I forget about Candy? A sweet treat for sure."

Fucking bingo!

"That's it! Is she here?"

"I don't know ... " His brows furrow with suspicion. "What's your deal with her, anyway?"

Probably best to feed him a lie. "I just need to see her. She's my, ehh ... favorite."

"You don't even know the name of your favorite girl?"

Is this guy for real? I shrug in a nonchalant manner. "I have a lot of favorites."

He eyes me up and down, chin in hand. "Yeah, you do look like that kind of guy."

Excuse me?

I do not look like some dirty fucker who has nothing better to do than frequent strip clubs.

Do I?

Jesus Christ! I'll have to ask Ellie if she thinks that's true. In the meantime, I'm getting some answers. "Okay, thanks for the intel."