Chapter forty-three

•★ Tex ★•

Standing in the doorframe, I take a last glance at my precious family before heading to our office space. Roy better make it quick because I've got better things to do. Like ... my wife.

Just when I'm about to hit answer, my phone stops ringing. Ignore the missed call? Maybe not the best idea. I don't want him to disturb me again when I'm in the middle of some hot and heavy bedroom rodeo.

I cave and tap the screen. It keeps ringing. Is this motherfucker seriously not answering? He called like three seconds ago.

At last, his voice hits my eardrum. "Hey, Tex, I just called you."

I carefully step over all the stuff Ellie never picked up and slump down on the desk chair. "I know, that's why I'm calling you back."

"Right. Well, I only called to tell you that I sent you an email."

For the love of Dog!

I keep my grumble inwards ... for now. "Why send me an email if you're gonna call me anyway?"

"Stop being a smartass. I sent you a draft of the papers you need to sign."

I sit up straight and do this victory-arm thing. "Fuck yeah! 'T-Rex Records' is really happening?"

He sighs a little too loud for my taste. "I can't believe I let you talk me into that name."

Whiny fucker.

With a pen in hand, I point at him as if he's in front of me. "I said it before and I'll say it again ... dinosaur logo. That's cool as fuck. I already made a rough sketch."

Mockery laces his tone. "Since when do you draw?"

"I don't, that's why I said 'rough sketch'. It's basically a fat stick figure with tiny arms."

Did I hear the sound of rolling eyes?

I bet he's pinching the bridge of his nose right now. "Let Ellie have a look at it. She's been doing that graphic design course, right?"

The mention of my girl never fails to bring a smile to my face and a flutter to my dick. "Yeah, she's trying out some different styles. Gotta pay her for her efforts, though. Maybe I should—"

"Don't even bother, Tex. I already know you're about to make a joke about paying her in kind."

Did he just try to deny me the glory of making a fantastic joke? How fucking rude. Well, too bad for him. "What can I say? It's the kind thing to do."

Definitely the sound of eye-rolls.

"Anyway, your business plan was pretty solid. We need to get together and decide what band to sign first. It has to be meaningful, symbolic even."

Makes sense. We have to bring out the big guns if we wanna make a name for ourselves. I click the pen repeatedly while thinking about it. "Can't I just sign myself? I mean, I'm not done making music."

Another sigh. "Only you would actually consider that. We'll talk about it later. Just read all the paperwork and let me know if anything is wrong."

It was obviously a joke. Well, a half-joke. I'll ask Maggie to give us some suggestions once all the boring paper stuff is done. "All right. I'm on it."

"Oh, and Tex. For the love of everything unholy, please get a more ... professional email account."

"Why? What's wrong with tittymaster69?"

"Bye, Tex."

A lot of thought went into coming up with that email address when I was fourteen. My peers found it clever. I shrug and put my phone on the desk. Since my laptop is downstairs, I open Ellie's MacBook. Okay, how does this work? I don't recognize these icons.