chapter twenty-four: aftertaste

"aftertaste"

"aftertaste"

mikasa's cottage

mikasa's cottage

despite the sting of levi's cold rejection still fresh in your memory, your friends convinced you to set aside your anger and join them in celebrating levi's birthday. you weren't thrilled, but being part of the group meant going along with the plans, even when your heart wasn't in it.

the guest list was tight-knit: levi, of course, erwin, oluo, gunther, eld, petra, eren, mikasa, connie, sasha, historia, and ymir. it was the usual crowd, people who knew each other inside out.

you had to push the awkwardness to the back of your mind, if only for tonight.

in the hours leading up to the celebration, all the girls gathered at mikasa's place, turning her once-organized bedroom into a chaotic mess. makeup, clothes, shoes, accessories, and styling tools were scattered across the floor like a battlefield of indecision.

"has anyone seen my shoes?!" sasha freaked out, tiptoeing around the clutter.

"do you want to borrow mine?" historia offered absentmindedly, focusing on perfecting her curls in the mirror.

"i have an extra pair."

ymir raised a brow, wrapping an arm around historia's waist."are you really gonna share your shoes with someone else?" she teased, planting a kiss on her temple."my baby krista's feet are too perfect for that."

historia blushed at the adorable nickname, flustered but quickly grazing off ymir's playful comment."it's fine, ymir."

"thanks historia!" sasha called, barely noticing the exchange."but mine were supposed to go with my dress!"

"sasha, check outside," mikasa proposed, suggested, holding up an eyeshadow palette and brush."maybe you left them by the door when we came in."

"oh right!"

while mikasa returned to meticulously applying eyeshadow to your eyelids, petra knelt beside her, securing the laces on the back of her friend's dress.