chapter twenty-eight: the price of pretending

"the price of pretending"

sports hall

"ugh, i totally got fat...my thighs are much bigger than they used to be..."

"are you kidding? yours aren't even that bad. i've got stretch marks to deal with as well."

you couldn't help but overhear hanna and anka whispering about their bodies, standing right next to you. their complaints were hard to ignore, especially with the way they scrutinized themselves. you shook your head, trying not to get sucked into their insecurities.

"alright, everyone! let's get started!"

before the lesson kicked off, you all had to warm up, getting ready for a series of friendly basketball games. you stretched out your legs, feeling the pressure in your muscles lessen.

"oh, wow! look at (y/n)," one of the girls admired, not even bothering to diminish her voice.

"mikasa may have killed abs, but (y/n) has the full package."

"look at that ass."

"stretch it out! all the way down, release the neck!" mikasa instructed, demonstrating the movements at the front of the room. as sports captain, it was her obligation to lead activities during the periods when the teacher was absent.

"they're right," anka restarted, nudging her friend."look at (y/n) and mikasa. they've got such nice bodies. it's not fair."

this time, your friend overheard their conversation. she paused the exercise. her arms crossed and she levelled a cruel stare at the girls."we weren't born with these bodies, you know," she snarled,"so instead of whining, maybe put in the effort and work on yourselves too."

the sports captain's humiliating scorn silenced them, as they hung their heads, now the targets of mocking remarks from their counterparts. you rolled your eyes, turning back to mikasa's instructions, pushing the distraction away.

"carrying on!"

you were so attentive in mimicking her movements, stretching your arms high above your head, that you didn't detect someone coming up behind you.