chapter thirty-one: mommy dearest

"mommy dearest"

"mommy dearest"

flashback

underground city

in the murky light that barely oozed through the narrow gaps, lay the underground city; a hidden world once located in the innermost land in the capital city of mitras, shielded by the three outside walls.

but after the great titan war in unknown - c.743, resulting in the downfall of the eldian empire and the rise of marley as a new global power, it had been relocated to beyond the walls and across the ocean from paradis island.

in that land, the surface felt like a distant, unreachable dream. life was harsh and unforgiving. for most, it was a prison, a labyrinth of cramped alleyways and dead ends, where the light of day was only ever a whispered rumour. some were born there, raised there, and died there without ever seeing the sky.

but that wasn't the case for levi. he had been spared that fate, at least until the age of 8.

he was brought up in a brother, under the care of his mother, kuchel ackerman. she didn't have much, but she had done everything to give levi warmth, to shield him from the darkness that consumed everything else down there.

she was all he had. the only one who ever loved him.

underground brothel

"levi."

the sound of his name snapped the young boy's attention away from the thin silver of sunlight that somehow found its way through the grimy window. it wasn't really a window, more like a thin slit. his mother stood there, cradling a wooden bucket in her arms, her long dark hair falling in waves down her back.

despite the hardships of life underground, she always managed to smile for him, a downy, gentle smile that made the world seem just a little less bleak.

"don't climb up there. it's dangerous," she chided, though her voice was more tender than stern. she set the bucket down and stepped closer."let's do the laundry. will you help me?"