9 | The Trick

"Momma ... " your voice trailed off.

Easy, Y/N, calm yourself down.

You tried to composure yourself as best as you can. Isabella knows that you are defected, but she doesn't know, that you knew she had known.

Show your normal face, you told yourself on a repeat.

Isabella asked, "Where have you been?"

Sister Krone, the deal. What day is it again? Right, today is Thursday.

"I was from Sister Krone's room. I said that I would volunteer to be in charge for Saturday night's movie snack," you answered any excuse that comes first to your mind.

She is not buying that, she may be smiled but she obviously doesn't believe you even though the excuse makes sense to some degree.

"Oh, the Saturday night. You just remembered me," her expression changes a bit more serious, "There will also be another chess duel between the children. The boys bet that they would won against Don and Nat this time. Would you like to join the bet?"

You've heard about this. Don was making a bet two days before you called him and Gilda to the library. He would probably not that serious into this duel anymore.

"I don't know yet, I will see it on the D-Day," you answered. You put your guards up, Momma is not the type to bring a chit-chat out of nowhere.

"Really? Too bad, you always pick the best side when it comes to a bet."

She bents down to your height, "When you make up your choice, mind to share it with me? I'm sure you would choose the more benefiting faction."

Chill run to your spine when her once warm and soft hand framed your cheek. For a clear reason, it doesn't give you the same protecting feeling as before. But still, her hands are giving you some warmth you long.

And behind her loving-act smile, she implied you to not siding with Sister Krone. She knows about it before any of your friends even noticed. How or when, it doesn't matter to questioned Isabella because she have always known.

She is your mother after all.

Luckily, from the signs she have thrown, the results from this encounter might not be as bad as you expected. She may not has thought to dispose you, yet.

Suddenly she frowned, "Where is your locket?" asked Isabella after noticing that there's no shining reflection from the chain that always lingering on your neck.

Your arms rise unintentionally and grope your neck. "I put it in my drawer after shower."

Isabella doesn't seems to be pleased. You thought, it might be because the locket is a birthday give from her when you turned 10.

Is she felt betrayed that I abandoned her giving?

"Put it on again, don't left it too long or you might forget and lost it," said her. You haven't seen her expression just now, she looks so annoyed. Never did you expect a simple locket could annoy her this much, no, her response was over annoyed.

Not feeling the need to keep the conversation, she straight up her posture and said, "It's getting late, you should back to your room."

〰️

You were on your bed, enjoying kind of your free time for a while. Norman, Emma, Gilda, and Don are checking the ropes that you save on the tree while Ray is having another special meet up with Isabella. Because of a confusing night yesterday, you overthought why Isabella was so affected by the locket.