38 | The Morning

I'll write some fluff soon, I promise!! ^o^

▫️▪️▫️▪️▫️

One demon down. Then the second, third, and so on. You never stop your sword from swinging back and fort, to your left then your right, jumping from one demon to another with the help from the trees for your support.

"Hyaa!" You stab the last demon on its core then quickly jump back to the tree before the body collapses.

While panting not so laborored, you bent down so your left hand is on your knees while the other hand is wiping the dripping sweat below your chin till your neck. You see the bodies of those demons you've just slayed are abandoned, lifeless on the ground.

As you're filling your lungs with the air they demand, Barbara is whistling from the tree next door. She said what you assume should be an encouragement, "Way to go, Knight! And here I am, wondering the use of my assistance."

You straighten your composure and relaxing the tensed muscle on your shoulders. You don't bother enough to unveil the obvious hidden gist in her compliments and replied, "Are you done with your part?"

Barbara huffed. "My part? Did you realize you do all the work single-handedly without leaving even a crumb for me?"

"Did I?"

Barbara nods.

That explains why you are able to meet Barbara here while she went through another side at the start. You were doing your morning patrol outside the shelter this morning with her and you sure was assigned on separate ways earlier. You were going to the east and Barbara was to the west. It have been a long time since you jumped from a tree to tree aimlessly and too focused on taking the demons down. Maybe you went to Barbara's side without you realizing it.

That also explains how bad your current mood is.

Even though Barbara isn't that heedful, your strange behavior is easily visible, it's impossible for her to miss. The number of the demon you took down and your silence through out the patrol are already enough confirmations.

Just like what a great friend she believes should be, it's not Barbara to be ignorant and not curious about you or the boss so she asked, "What is this that makes you so upset, by the way?"

You take your time to think for the best answer for her. She doesn't know the cuts hidden under your gloves so you can't say that to her. Your comrades don't like Emma and Ray so you can't tell them what happened in Norman's office that day or they will hate Emma and Ray even more. Then for the finale, she doesn't know about Norman's seizure and thus you can't say a thing about your worry.

So the best answer you can provide at the moment is, "I'm just upset."

"Ugh...." Barbara groans. "You just slayed eight demons in row even though by this distance they won't reach the shelter just because you're upset? I think we have passed the secretive phase of our friendship!"

Ah, now that Barbara mentioned it, you notice you're now outside the usual patrol range. By this far, it doesn't matter if you let the demon alive because they won't endanger the shelter.

That says a lot about your pile up annoyance until you go for hunting the demons to relieve your anger. The series of events these days are so tiring it's almost draining the life out of you. You've had fight with the most important persons in your life, you're even injure Emma for god's sake! Then you just got your episode last night, one that you thought was gone but somehow resurface again.

You're sick of those all, thinking about those matter will only give you a headache so you seek for a distraction. Luckily, it's your schedule to do the morning patrol with Barbara today. What's a better distraction than stabbing demons' cores out here? You are forced to be on alert, you can kill those monsters without any burden and you will be too tired for thinking about other things. Also the most important, there won't be—almost—no one who can disturb you.