Chapter 82

Kyle and I spent an amazing day with Amalia following the wedding. All of the decorations from the wedding were still outside besides the chairs.

There was an abundance of flowers, but also a ton of food leftover. There was so much cake, dinner, and more that we couldn't eat it all ourselves even within a week. We didn't even have a week because we were leaving the next day. After saving some food and lots of cake for Amalia, as well as freezing some since I loved traditions. The tradition of eating your wedding cake one year later may not appeal to some, but I thought it was a cute tradition so I made sure to freeze some for Kyle and I to celebrate our one year anniversary.

We decided to take the remainder of the food to a homeless shelter and give out plates to anyone homeless we saw on the streets. After spending so much money on ourselves, on this wedding, our honeymoon, the house, it felt nice to give something back as small as it may seem.

But giving just made us want to give more, so we decided that as a monthly tradition in our home, we would either donate money or time to help those in need.

It was truthfully amazing that we had the ability to give so much, and many needed much more. It was an honor to give just some of it back.

I was skeptical of letting Amalia come. She had never been truly homeless, but she had experienced a similar sense of loneliness being in foster care for so long. I was worried of the things she may see, but it was a wonderful learning experience for her. We didn't stay long, but the people we did get to engage in conversation with were spectacular people. They were all so kind, gracious and grateful for our efforts.

When we went home, it was crazy to think we had a house full of presents waiting for us. There were a few appliances we had yet to buy because of the wedding, mostly kitchen things that I wanted for baking and cooking.

But I had no idea how there were so many presents. I know our families snuck a few gifts in for Amalia so she could help us out, and get a few presents as well especially since they had never given her gifts before.

It was just an excuse to spoil her more, which we were more than okay with. I didn't want our children to be spoiled brats, of course not, but Amalia would never be like that. But a part of me felt like she just deserves more after being without a real family for most of her life at this point.

She was the best helper, ripping open the wrapping paper with ease before handing a gift to me or Kyle until she saw her new baby doll, dresses, hair bows and shoes from our families.

"Yay, this is a boy doll! Now I have a boy and a girl!"

"That's wonderful, sweetie," I said, and she excitedly ran to grab her baby stroller with her other doll. She had no more interest in our presents, but rather put both of her dolls in the stroller and walked around the house.

She was too adorable for her own good.

Kyle and I opened up the rest.

I was happy to see a new Kitchen-Aid, blender, coffee maker, and some lovely decor for the house.

Celeste had probably got us the most thoughtful gift, a statue of a crystal angel.

"Oh, Kyle. It's so beautiful."

"It most definitely is. I love it."

I cried of course, and couldn't wait to find the perfect spot for it. Similarly, the dove from yesterday at our wedding returned. We could currently see it through the glass windows, perched on top of the fountain. I had no question anymore that the dove had some special connection to our boy.

"There's one more gift," Kyle said, handing me a rectangular box.

"Kyle, what's this? I never saw it here before."