Chapter 47

Kyle and I had been doing great ever since our big fight that just so happened to involve the woman I was glaring at currently, but there was an almost fight. I hate to say it, but yes, it would've been caused because of Melody once again.

"Babe, I wanted to talk about this party my mom is throwing."

"Sure, what's up, K? Is your mom giving you a hard time?"

"No, no. It's not that. As you know, my mother invites all of the guests, but she isn't too fond of Melody. Usually I tell her she has to invite her, but she will only do it if I remind her," he paused, watching my facial expression.

My entire face must've fell quite dramatically because Kyle immediately continued in a hurry, worried he'd upset me. There's something I didn't expect though. His mother and I might get along after all.

"Given the scope of our last argument, I wanted to make sure that I could still have her invited."

"I have no control over that, Kyle," I said, pretty coldly. I didn't mean for my voice to be so chilly, but I couldn't help it. Thinking about the two together made my skin crawl and I couldn't handle this subject for long.

"Baby," Kyle lightly rubbed my arm and I jerked away, "I don't want to fight."

"I don't either, Kyle, but I don't want to talk about it. If you want to invite her, that's on you, Kyle."

"Okay, I won't invite her."

"You don't want her there?"

"No, I d—"

"Then invite her! What's stopping you?"

"What do you want from me, Mia? I'm doing what I can. I'll do whatever you want."

"I want you to do what you want. At the end of the day, I'm your girlfriend. She's your best friend. I can't take that away from her and she sure as hell can't take that away from me. I'll try to be civil, but if she crosses me, I won't go easy on her this time."

"You're right."

"Thanks for asking. I didn't mean to snap. I understand why you did and I appreciate it."

Kyle wrapped his arms around me, and kissed my head.

"You're my girl. I'd choose you any day. You know that."

I think I was finally starting to believe it.

So, no. I wasn't surprised to see her at the party, but I didn't understand why he had to come find me afterwards with her by his side.

I can be nice, but if I can go find someone I actually tolerate, why wouldn't I?

Deep breaths, Mia.

"Happy birthday, Mia," Melody said, wrapping her arms around me.

I know the theme was "out of this world" but did I really just enter a new one? Was she drunk already? What's going on?

"Thank you, Melody," and I refrained from cringing as her name left my lips.

"Melody caught me near the bathrooms, and I knew you'd be waiting and Melody wanted to say hi."

Ah yes, stalking my boyfriend outside the bathroom.

Lovely.

"Well," I lifted the glass that was supposed to be his and his lips turned into a frown.

"Sorry, baby. Here, I'll take it," and he drank some before putting the remainder of it into the glass he was holding.

I smiled, finally able to hold his hand. Maybe that's what my hidden agenda was. I needed a free hand so I could touch my man, take claim of what's mine and I don't care if that was petty. I'd do it again and again.