Chapter 59

When I arrived in front of the Palace of Versailles with Kyle, I wasn't sure what I expected. To be in front of such a grand and remarkable place was truly amazing. I had to think that the only kinds of people who would actually live in a place like this are royalty of course, but also my boyfriend and his mother.

They were rich enough to create their own castle, their own palace and it was intimidating. I felt like I was walking on ground that wasn't steady. It was foreign land and somehow, I didn't belong there.

My feelings were confirmed when I was greeted by his mother. Celeste has this aura about her that just screams wealth. Her outfit was perfect for tea at the palace, but what was even better was that it actually worked for her. She looked like a queen. Bossy, demanding, someone that people praised just because she had a ton of money and good looks. She looked much younger than her age and I couldn't tell if she had plastic surgery or not. I hoped not so Kyle would look that good in the future, but I think he will regardless.

I was definitely nervous for this lunch with Celeste because Kyle wouldn't be there. He was my crutch, I leaned on him and he was always there to reassure me and make me feel better in times of discomfort or uneasiness. He had helped to dress me in a way that was appropriate for tea in the palace and something his mother would approve of. Luckily, I think it was working because she said,

"You look perfect for afternoon tea, Mia."

"Thank you, Celeste. You look perfect yourself."

"I should hope so, my stylist costs a fortune."

I laughed, and thought to myself about what it would be like to have a stylist. I had Rosa, and she always managed to make me look wonderful. I shook my head out of my thoughts to return back to the conversation.

"Great. I have an event tonight. I would love if you both could come," Celeste said.

"Mom, I don't know if we can make it."

I couldn't let him do this. I don't know how this lunch is going to end, but I needed her to like me and at least if I insist, it will start out well.

"No, Kyle, let's go. I'd love to support your mother."

"Thank you, Mia. At least someone supports me."

I smiled, grateful I spoke up.

"Oh, mom. You know this is a special time for Mia and I, but as long as Mia is fine with it, I would love to go to your event."

He's right. I would rather do almost anything than go to one of her events after spending an afternoon with her. It was nothing against Celeste either, she's scary, but I really just want time with her son. This is our first year. We have to celebrate it well.

"Perfect. It's at eight."

"Okay. That should give us some time together," Kyle said, looking at me before placing a kiss to my temple.

"Yeah," I said shyly, blushing since he was showing some affection in front of his mother.

"I'm going to head out, but I'll see you ladies later. Enjoy your afternoon," Kyle spoke up, squeezing my hand.

No, please no. I'm not ready.

He gave me a quick kiss and his mother a hug before he walked away.

I watched him go, desperately trying not to clutch my heart that was surely breaking at the sight of him leaving. I already missed him. I already needed him.
I looked toward his mother, and she had a small smile on her face.

"Shall we?" She asked.

"Of course."

A worker opened the door for us, welcoming us in, and immediately leading us to a table.