Chapter 45

Kyle's POV

*2 months later*

Mia's birthday was coming up and I was excited. Ecstatic actually. This was our first time celebrating a birthday together. My birthday actually precedes Mia's by four days, but I'm so much more excited for hers.

I wasn't sure what to plan yet, but I know her. An intimate setting and a fun time would be all she wants. I planned to deliver that and more. I didn't want to go too over the top, but I was so excited and I couldn't help but want to spoil the heck out of her.

I was just about to call her to see if she could have lunch with me. There was something that changed after we moved in with each other. Besides our first real fight, we've gotten along great. We didn't really have any fights about clothes left on the floor or wet towels lying around. It was almost as if we were each living in our own space still, but we were still together. It worked for us, and more and more we became used to the other's habits.

I was already used to most of Mia's habits, so I wasn't surprised. And even the annoying little things she did were becoming some of my favorite things. I felt closer to her than I ever had before, but I still longed to be with her at all times of the day. I wasn't sure if this was a prolonged honeymoon phase or not, but I was happy with wherever this was going.

Right before I pressed on Mia's contact, I got a ring in from my secretary.

"Hi Mr. Wells, your mother is here to see you. Actually, she's already on her way to your office. Thought I might warn you."

"Thanks Luis. I definitely appreciate the warning."

And not even a second later, my mother walked in bringing the heavy perfume aroma with her. It must be a new scent she's trying out because I didn't recognize it. That was one thing about having a mother who created perfumes, she never smelled the same. Most people could identify their mother with the smell of her favorite perfume, but not me. My mom constantly switched to different scents, never settling on a favorite. And the one most frequent from childhood was discontinued, given it was my father's favorite. I still remember the day I saw her smash the bottle against her dresser until there were glass pieces covering the floor and the overwhelming stench that consumed the room, just as my mother's heartbreak consumed her.

Of course, that all shifted, and she began to look too put together. She tried to show herself off as a woman who had it all. She used to have it all, or so she thought, but now she was missing a significant part of her life and she never forgets it.

My mother was dressed in a black jumpsuit, not a hair out of place, let alone an eyelash. She looked like she owned the place.

"Mom, you are you trying to take me out of business with this power look?"

"Oh, Kyle, you're always so good to me. I missed you, darling," and she came around my desk to give me a hug.

I hadn't seen her since a couple of days after the charity event, so it was always nice to catch up. My mother loved to surprise me though, and I never seemed prepared for her appearances.

"I didn't expect you today, mom. What's up?"

"Can't I come visit my amazing son?"

"Yes, mother. Of course, but I assume there's a reason you're here."

"You're right. To take you out to lunch, so let's go. My treat."

"I was actually just about to call Mia to see if she wanted to have lunch, maybe we could all go together?"

"Sweetie, I was hoping this could just be with us. You don't mind, do you?"

"Mom, you have to meet her sometime. I met her parents months ago, she is looking forward to meeting you!"