Chapter 58

Kyle's POV

I wasn't sure how I was going to pull this off. Mia and I don't keep secrets, but in this case, I have to be secretive.

My mother really did want to have brunch with Mia so that was a good start. I'm not sure why, but I thought it was nice that my two favorite women would hang out together.

But when I received a call that morning during our breakfast, I knew this was going to be a lot more difficult than I thought.

"Hello?"

"Bonjour monsieur, you're picking up your order today, correct?"

Just in case Mia could hear, I excused myself from the patio of our hotel room where we had been currently enjoying our breakfast.

"Oui, in a few hours."

"They have finished the final touches. C'est trés beau."

"Trés bon. Merci beaucoup."

"À bientôt."

"Au revoir."

When I returned to the patio, Mia looked me up and down quizzically.

"Who was that?"

I tried to play it cool, but my answer came flying out of my mouth suspiciously, "My mom."

"Really? I thought you talked to her when you woke up."

"I did, but she forgot to tell me where we were going to meet her."

"Oh okay. Strange."

"Yeah, she's getting old and forgetful, I guess," and I stuffed some eggs in my mouth.

Mia shook her head, "You shouldn't say that, Kyle."

"It's true. Sad, but true."

She finally cracked a smile, "You're so mean."

"Don't worry. I'll still love you when you're old and forgetful."

"Oh, thanks. I can't promise the same."

"Hey!"

She grabbed my hand, and we continued our meal. I assume she didn't suspect anything anymore, especially after our time in the shower. I think I nearly made her forget her own name.

For now, I had to get her ready to meet with my mother. They were going for afternoon tea at the Palace of Versailles.

"She is seriously going to be wearing something like this?"

"Yep," and I tried not to laugh as Mia emerged from the bathroom wearing the outfit I picked out for her.

"I look like the worst dressed at the Kentucky Derby. I'm not wearing this. The hat is one thing, but this dress is so poofy and hideous."

The hat was quite large for her head with feathers sticking out from it. So not her style.

"Okay, I may have tricked you. There is a better outfit on the bed."

She rolled her eyes and grabbed the other outfit.

"This one better be good."

"It is. My mother will love it and you will too."

"I hope so!"

When Mia came out, she looked perfect. She was dressed in a floral, flowy dress with a much smaller hat that had some flowery details to match her dress.

"Lovely, baby."

"This is better, but I still feel like a fifty's housewife."

"You do kinda look like one, but you're gorgeous."