Chapter 9

"You have a red pickup truck?"

"Yep, been mine since I was 17. She's held up really well."

"You need a new car. One that looks like something you'd actually drive."

"Hey, are you saying women can't drive trucks?"

Kyle chuckled, as I put my hands on my hips and glared at him.

"No. Women can drive trucks, men can drive trucks, anyone can drive trucks. We may not know each other that well, but I know you well enough to know that a different car would suit you better. And I also know that by the looks of it, this truck will not last you too much longer."

Deep down, I knew he was right.

Unfortunately, there wasn't really anything I could do about it.

I was still paying off student loans from college, and had to pay for my apartment and other liabilities.

"It'll have to do. It drives and that's all that matters."

I always was a little materialistic, I guess I couldn't help it. I came from a small town in the countryside, but I dreamed of the big city. I would be the one wishing for a pair of Jimmy Choos for Christmas, even though I knew that was way too much for our family to afford and completely unreasonable. I knew I wouldn't be able to get anything I truly desired, but I told myself that when I grew up, I could get anything I wanted. While I'm still trying to make that happen, I do believe in myself. While I wanted things with a higher price tag, I was extremely grateful for what we did have. Getting my dad's red pickup truck was probably one of the best gifts I've ever received. It worked great from the day I received it to now, it just didn't look the best.  I guess as I've grown up, I've realized that material things aren't everything. However, if I could afford a Gucci bag, I would buy one. And that's just where I was at.

"That's admirable," Kyle spoke, with a soft smile gracing his face.

"Well, I should get going."

"I guess so."

Kyle kissed my cheek.

"Maybe I'll see you later," he whispered.

"Hopefully," and I entered my truck with a smile on my face.

• • •

I could definitely use a friend.

Throughout my years of adulthood, I've lost a lot of friends.

When I left Indiana, I left all of my friends there. But it didn't matter to me much anyways, I never seemed to want the same things as those I grew up with. My dreams were too high, too mighty. I would never be a successful business owner in the eyes of my peers. They thought it was unrealistic. My family did too, at first. But both of my parents were successful, they weren't rich, but they were very successful compared to the rest of the town. That's actually why we moved to Carmel after I finished high school, as living in Salem wasn't too good of an idea. It was awkward being the family who made the most money in a place that was pretty poor in comparison. When we reached Carmel, we knew it was better. More people had dreams and there were more upper middle class people like our family, and I was happy that Mavy would have a place where her dreams could be accepted, while mine never were. Unfortunately, she hasn't fully got her shit together, but when she does, it will be great. I left home shortly after we moved to go to the University of Chicago. It was my dream school and dream city all in one. I loved that I could still be somewhat close to my family but also be far enough away to have a life of my own where I could fulfill my dreams.

You would think I made friends in college, but I didn't have great luck.

I was likable, and people reached out to me.