Chapter 43

I didn't know when I fell asleep, but I don't remember being covered by a blanket before I did. The plush fabric smelled like Kyle and I knew he did this.

I wasn't ready to face him yet. My feelings for him didn't change overnight, but this was our first serious fight and I realized I never wanted to fight with him again. Ever. But at the same time, I wasn't ready to forgive him either.

I could be stubborn, I'll admit it, but truthfully, I was hurt by his actions. It didn't help that I looked up Callie Rivers to find out how gorgeous she is. We looked nothing alike in any way and I wondered if that was the only reason Kyle was drawn to me—because I didn't resemble the woman that broke his heart.

Of course that is ridiculous, but that's all I could think about last night. Maybe if the other revelation didn't involve Melody, we would be cuddling in our bed together, but here we are. I knew Melody was trouble and now I knew why. She was always a threat, and I will now always trust my gut. Maybe I overreacted a little bit given this was many years ago, but trust was broken. The truth about their past should've been exposed the moment Melody got brought up into conversation. Instead, Kyle sidetracked every question I had regarding how intimate they were with one another.

I couldn't stay in bed all day, I needed food. If I were back at my own place, I'd be stuffing my face with junk food and watching my favorite rom-com's until the next day came.

Technically, I could stay in bed for most of the day though. I just needed to sneak out, grab some food and drinks, then take it back to this room. I decided to act now, unsure if Kyle was awake, but willing to take the risk.

I tiptoed out of the room, scoping the area and when I found it to be clear, I swiftly went towards the kitchen, but then I heard his voice.

His sweet voice that I usually loved to listen to, but couldn't stand at this moment. I tried to convince myself that I was telling the truth, yet even I knew that was a lie or else I wouldn't be eavesdropping right now just so I can listen to his smooth voice.

"Of course, Andrew. Tonight should work perfectly."

Andrew? Mr. Reynolds? Or another Andrew? Curiosity got the best of me and I remained behind the wall, listening in even more now.

"I'm so glad you called. It's our pleasure truly."

Our pleasure? Our as in him and I? Or him and someone else?

I really needed to stop this questioning thing before it gets out of hand.

"Okay," he paused, before continuing, "Mia and I will meet you at seven."

Wait, what the hell?

"Sounds great. See you soon," and he hung up the phone.

I came out from behind the wall, crossing my arms over my chest and glaring at Kyle.

He must've felt my stare because he turned to face me, jumping when he noticed me.

"Mia, you scared me! What are you doing there?"

"I could ask you the same question. Mia and you are going where tonight?"

"I know this sounds bad, but I thought we would make up and all would be fine for this dinner tonight."

"Thanks for thinking to ask me. Who is this dinner even with? My boss? Were you going to keep this from me until it was too late for me to back out? Or maybe you'd just surprise me, you're great at that lately."

"Mia, please. Mr. Reynolds called and he said he'd love to have dinner with us. What was I supposed to say? No, we're fighting right now so that won't work?"