Chapter 33

Sudden bright flashes were the only things I could see. Almost like a bunch of cameras going off. But in between each flash was a bunch of images.

Stiles and Malia were breaking open the wall with the kanji on it. Inside was the mummified body of a Japanese soldier. He had a katana near him and Malia pulled out a picture out from his jacket’s pocket.

Next thing I knew, Malia was knocked out and they were both strapped to chairs. Oliver was bringing a drill close to Malia’s head as Stiles struggled against his bonds. Stiles screamed and cried, and let the nogitsune in.

It was all a blur as the sound of a hammer being pounded against metal rang throughout my ears. I screamed and dropped to my knees as I covered my ears. I pulled at my hair as voices in my head taunted me. But it was one voice in particular. My doppelgänger’s.

-

The next morning I went to go visit my aunt’s tombstone. I kneeled down in front of it and sighed as I ran my fingertips across her name. I gently placed a white rose next to her and just started breaking down.

“What am I supposed to do without you? People are dying and I don’t know what to do. I’m no use. My best friend is possessed, the person who I love is hurt and in the hospital, and I have no family members with. Maybe I-I should just join you. I miss you so much Aunt Julie. P-please come back. I can’t do this anymore!” I sobbed.

Teardrops rolled down my cheeks and my nose stuffed up. I looked down at my necklace and grasped onto it. I quietly continued to sob until I felt a presence behind me. I quickly stood up and turned on my heels. Lydia was standing there.

“Oh, hey Lydia. What are you doing here?” I asked as I wiped my eyes.

“I came to look for you. Figured you might be here. I’ll just let you finish up.”

“Oh no, it’s ok. I was just about to leave anyways.”

“Alright then, come with me.”

I followed her out to her car and got in to the passenger’s seat. I buckled up and waited for her to join me. Once she did, she started the engine and we drove off. She seemed to be driving us on a field road that I’ve never been on before.

“Where are we going?”

“No where in particular. I just thought that we could take a longer route home so that we can have time to catch up on you know… everything.”

“Oh alright. By any chance is there news about Isaac? I’ve tried to visit him but they won’t let me in. They say only family can. Even though he doesn’t have any.”

“Sadly, no. Hopefully everything turns out ok in the end.”

As she kept driving, out of nowhere I slapped myself. It was a fast quick motion, which was sure to leave red marks. Lydia hit the brakes and turned at me with a what the hell face.

“Why on earth did you just slap yourself?”

“I think it’s better if I don’t tell you.” I gritted my teeth as I realized it was my doppelgänger. “Hold up, I’ll be right back.”

I got out of her car and ran back a couple of feet so that she couldn’t see me. I grasped my necklace and yanked it off my neck. I clutched it in my hand and with all my force I threw it out into the field. Goodbye doppelgänger.