Chapter 19

The next day at school, I walked into business class with Stiles and Scott. We took our seats, mine was next to Stiles' and Scott's was behind mine. A couple of minutes into class, I took a glance at Stiles and saw him with his head down, writing a lot of stuff on his notebook really fast while mumbling words really fast too.

I turned around and nudged Scott and pointed my head to Stiles. Scott looked over at him and looked back at me with a confused look on his face. Coach looked back at Stiles and yelled at him.

"Stilinski! Since you're clearly paying attention, would you like to try the question on the board?"

Stiles didn't do react and his head was still down, so coach blew his whistle at him. Stiles bolted up from his desk and looked at coach.

"Stilinski!"

"Uh-huh?"

"I asked you a question."

"Uh Sorry, Coach. What was it?"

"It was 'Stilinski, are you paying attention back there?' "

"Oh. Well, I am now."

"Stilinski, stop reminding me why I drink... every night. Does anybody else want to try the question on the board?"

Scott and I looked over at Stiles with worried and concerned look on our faces.

"I'm okay. I just fell asleep for a second."

"You weren't asleep." I said nodding my head to his notebook. Stiles looked down to see that he's written 'wake up' repeatedly all over the page.

During free period, all of us met up at a table. That includes Stiles, Scott, Isaac, Lydia, Allison, and me.

"Okay, so what happens to a person who has a near-death experience and comes out of it seeing things?" Scott asked us.

"And is unable to tell what's real or not?" Stiles referred to what was happening to him.

"And is being haunted by demonic visions of dead relatives?" Allison added.

"They're all locked up because they're insane." Isaac said.

"Ha. Can you at least try to be helpful, please?" Stiles retorted.

"For half my childhood, I was locked in a freezer. So, being helpful is kind of a new thing for me." Isaac replied to Stiles.

"Hey, dude, are you still milking that?" Stiles asked him referring to the excuse that he was using.

"Yeah, maybe I am still milking that."

Kira walked up to our table making Isaac and Stiles stop arguing.

"Hi. Hi, sorry. I couldn't help overhearing what you guys were talking about. And I think I actually might know what you're talking about. There's a Tibetan word for it. It's called "Bardo." It literally means 'in-between state.' The state between life and death.

"And what do they call you?" Lydia asked in a sassy tone.

"Kira." Scott replied.

We all looked at him with a questioned look on our faces, well except for me since I already met her.

"She's in our History class."

"So are you talking Bardo in Tibetan Buddhism or Indian?" Lydia asked her as she sat down next to me.

"Either, I guess. But all the stuff you guys were just saying? All that happens in Bardo. There are different progressive states where you can have hallucinations. Some you see, some you just hear. And you can by visited by peaceful and wrathful deities."

"Wrathful deities? And what are those?" I asked turning my body around to face her.

"Like demons."

"Demons. Why not..." Stiles said sarcastically.

"Hold on, if there are different progressive states, then what's the last one?" Allison asked.

"Death. You die." Kira said as all of us looked at each other with shocked expressions.

When school ended, Stiles, Scott, and I went to Deaton to ask him what was happening. Stiles told us that during business class he seemed to fall asleep and dreamt that he was in class and everyone had a blank expression and they all started doing the same sign in sign language, faster and faster.

"It sounds like your subconscious is trying to communicate with you." Deaton told Stiles.

"Well, how do I tell my subconscious to use a language that I actually know?"

"Do you remember what the sign language looked like? The placement and movement of the hands?"

"You know sign language?" I asked Deaton.

"I know a little. Let me give it a shot."

"Okay, the first one was like this." Stiles said as he circled his index finger around the other index finger of his other hand.

"That's 'when' "

"Then there was this, twice." Stiles did the next sign.

"That's door."

"And this in between it." He said doing the last sign.

"That's it?" I asked him.

"Yeah."

"When is a door not a door?" Deaton said which was the translation of the sign language.

"When is a door not a door?!" Stiles was incensed.

"When it's ajar." Scott replied

"You're kidding me. A riddle? My subconscious wants to tell me a riddle?!"

"Not necessarily. When you, Scott, and Allison went under the water, when you crossed from unconsciousness to a kind of super-consciousness, you essentially opened a door in your minds." 

"So what does that mean? The door's still open?" I asked him.

"Ajar." Deaton corrected me.

"A door into our minds?" Stiles said in disbelief.

"I did tell you it was risky."

"What do we do about it?"

"Well, that's difficult to answer."

"Oh, no, wait a second, I know that look. That's the 'we know exactly what's wrong with you, but we have no idea how to fix it' look."

"One thing I do know is that having an opening like that into your mind, it's not good. You each need to close that door. And you need to do it as soon as possible."

Scott, Stiles, and I walked out the back door of the animal clinic and saw Stiles' dad pull up.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Stiles asked him as he got out of his car and walked up to us,

"I'm here because I could use some help. Actually Your help." He said pointing to Scott.

"Why me?"

"Because eight years ago, almost an entire family died in a car accident. One of the bodies, a young girl named Malia, was never found. There's enough evidence to have me thinking that...that a werewolf could have caused the accident, and then dragged her body away. If you could somehow get a lock on her scent if you could somehow help me find her body, it might provide the missing clue."

"But what if it was a werewolf?"

"Well, there's somebody out there who murdered an entire family. Someone who still needs to be caught."