Chapter 21

"Come on Scarlett!" Stiles and I are still in the woods running, looking for Scott.

We kept running until we collided with someone. Stiles and I screamed and so did the other person. Stiles shone the flashlight and it was Scott.

"Oh."

"I think we found something." I said while panting.

"So did I."

We walked up to a den that was filled with Malia's things.

"It's a coyote den." Stiles said as we entered it.

"Werecoyote." Scott replied.

I picked up a blue jacket that was nearby.

"You see this? This is Malia's. Remember, it's the same one she was wearing in the photo."

Scott picked up a ragged teddy bear and looked around.

"We shouldn't be in here."

"What do you mean?" Stiles asked.

"She's not going to come back now. We just invaded her home. Our scent's going to be everywhere."

"If she's not going to come back here, where's she going to go?" Stiles asked him.

"I don't know."

"Can you track her now? You think you got her scent?" I asked Scott.

"Maybe. But I'm better at this when I'm a full wolf. And I'm still worried that if I do it, I won't be able to turn back."

Stiles sighed, "The door's still open."

"If I can't get to Derek, we're gonna have to find someone else to help. This is basically a crime scene, right? I think it might be a little out of my boss's league."

"And more in my dad's." Stiles said as he started calling his dad.

We climbed out and waited near the road of the woods. The Sheriff and his deputies arrived a little while later. They went inside the den to investigate. After a while of waiting, Sherriff Stilinski climbed out of the den with a piece of Malia's clothing and walked up to us.

"You're sure it was her?"

"I looked her right in the eyes. And they glowed just like mine." Scott replied.

"It makes sense, Dad." Stiles said.

"But it wasn't a girl. It was a four-legged coyote, right?" Sherriff asked.

"Well, okay. But yeah, see, that's the point that we don't exactly have figured out yet." Stiles stammered.

"Okay, but if it was a full moon and she did change while her mom was driving, then anything could've happened." Scott said.

"Horrible things could've happened. Ripping, shredding, tearing things." Stiles said.

"Which is probably what caused the accident." I added.

"Think about it, Dad, all right. They're driving, Malia starts to change, she goes out of control, the mom crashes and everybody dies."