Chapter 30

I quickly got up on my feet and started running. My hair bounced up and down as I ran all the way down the hall. Patients gawked at me, probably because they were watching a glitching girl run past them.

I came to an abrupt stop when I didn’t hear people running after me. I panted and turned around. I saw the orderlies quickly restrain Malia, and another one tackle Stiles.

“She hit me! Wait, wait, wait. Stop! I didn't doing anything!” Stiles yelled at the orderlies.

“Stop!” His face was pressed against a grate, and I realized that he's seen that pattern before: when he was in the dream basement with the wrapped man.

I quickly jogged back and tried catching my breath. I pushed through the crowd that formed, not caring that I was now visible to everyone.

“Scarlett?” Stiles looked up at me with confusion.

“Enough!” a voice yelled.

I turned around and saw a familiar face. Morrell. I was shocked to see her here since I haven’t heard from her. She knelt down in front of Stiles and he seemed shocked too.

“You saw something, didn't you?”

“That basement. I've been down there before.”

-

“I want to go back to the topic of guilt today. It might surprise you to hear me say that guilt is a good thing. It's a rather mature emotion.” Morrell said.

Stiles was attending a group therapy session and I was dragged along until I could leave Eichen House. Everyone in the group was sitting in a circle and I was sat in front of Stiles. I haven’t talked to him and he kept catching glimpses at me.

“Malia, you said something about guilt the other day. You said it came with a visceral reaction.”

“I said it made me feel sick to my stomach.”

I turned to Malia who was sitting to my left and she gave me a glare. I gave her a half smile but she just rolled her eyes at me. Well then, looks like she doesn’t like me. Oliver coughed and Stiles looked over his shoulder. He turned back to the group a little panicked and I gave him a concerned look.

“You ok?” I mouthed to him.

“Yea.” He mouthed back and nodded but I didn’t believe him.

“Guilt often becomes physical. You feel it in your gut. It's not just psychological. How does guilt make you feel, Stiles?”

“I'm sorry, what?”

“Guilt. What does it make you feel?”

“Nervous.”

“Like a sense of urgency? You feel an urgent need to make up for something you've done. To apologize. These are healthy responses. Does anyone know what we call someone who doesn't experience guilt?”