Chapter 14 - The Day of the Engagement Announcement

The next day, after the day I met Viktor the capture target, unexpectedly, I was feeling down because I had to attend the engagement announcement at the castle, but I didn't have a choice but to put on the beautiful pale light blue dress that Kaiser had picked out for me and wait for him to pick me up from the castle in my room.

If I only wanted to go to the castle, I should have gone in my family's carriage, but Kaiser decided on his own that since it was an important day, he would provide a carriage with a proper escort to pick me up.

...Hmm...did Kaiser act this forcefully towards Cecilia during the game? As I recall, he was basically a bit of an afterthought and tried not to get too involved...well, he had no choice but to go along with Cecilia's selfishness because he was her fiancé...but I guess that's because we're still kids, right?

I was puzzled because I remembered the way Kaiser had behaved since we met.

I stopped thinking for the moment and headed for the front door when I was informed by a maid of honor that a carriage had arrived to pick me up.

When I came to the front door, I found a smiling father and mother who were already waiting to see me off, as well as a grumpy-looking brother.

The three of them were to come later, so I was the only one going first.

"Oh Cecilia, that dress looks great on you. I'm sure Prince Kaiser is a great judge of style."

"...Thank you, Father."

"Cecilia-chan, if you go to the castle by yourself, make sure you don't have any rough edges."

"Yes, Mother."

"...Cecilia, it's not too late for you to stop going."

"...Brother, if I could, I wouldn't want to go there either. But it's my duty as a fiancée, and I don't want to embarrass the Heinz family."

"Cecilia..."

I smiled at my brother and he smiled at me with a resigned look on his face.

Just then, the front door opened and Viktor came in through it.

"Huh? Viktor?"

"Princess, I've come for you."

"Could it be that Viktor is the guard?"

"Yes, I will protect the princess all day long."

"...Then, please."

I wasn't expecting Viktor, the captain of the order, to come as my bodyguard, so I was surprised, but I convinced myself that it was better than having to go with a complete stranger.

I glanced at Viktor's left hand and was relieved to find a white bandage wrapped tightly around it, which seemed to indicate that he had been treated properly.

When I looked at my father and the others to greet them in their departure, for some reason the three of them were looking at me and Viktor with puzzled expressions.

What on earth is going on...Ah! Viktor's "Princess..."

I noticed this, but it became too much of a hassle to explain anymore, so I quickly greeted him before he asked me any questions and got into the carriage with Viktor.

I arrived at the castle and waited in the antechamber with Viktor's escort.

"Princess, I'll be waiting at the door, so if there's anything you need, please call me at once."

"Oh, yes...Well, I don't think there's anything in this place that could possibly happen."

"Still, call me!"