Chapter 29 - unveiling parade

Ooh my god it hit 1k views finally i am super duper happy right now so I decided to give you guys a double update.

I hope you enjoy 😉

Back to the story-
Nina and I climbed into the lavishly decorated carriage and sat side by side on the seats.

Then, when we were ready, the carriage started to move slowly.

And around the carriage, the knights on horseback also started to move forward together.

Of course, at the head of those knights, Viktor was riding a fine black horse.

And so we proceeded from the castle to the city, being seen off by Kaiser and the others.

When we arrived in town, there were already many people along the roadside, waving to us.

We waved back and smiled at them.

Then we received cheers from everywhere, and everyone looked happy.

"Everyone is very happy, aren't they?"

"I suppose so. Because for the first time in decades, the Celestial Maiden has been chosen."

"...to be honest, I was still worried."

"Why?"

"When I was in the castle, Cecilia-sama was good to me in many ways, and thanks to that, I was recognized by the other nobles to a point, but...I didn't know how the people of the city would react."

"I see... but it's nice to see that you've been properly recognized."

"Yes! I'm so happy!"

It made me glad to see Nina smiling with a really happy smile.

As we were waving to people again, we heard a variety of voices from those people.

"The maiden is very pretty"

"She really is—and also because the shrine maiden this time is a commoner like us, it's very familiar to me."

"Shrine Maiden-sama is beautiful! Cute~!"

"Ahhhh, I'm glad I got to see something nice like this before I die! Thanks! Thanks!"

There were men and women talking happily, little boys, and even an old lady who was rubbing her hands together in worship while looking at Nina.

Hmm~ As I thought, Nina's cuteness and the shrine maiden outfit that suits her so well, everyone recognized Nina as the 'Celestial Maiden' in one shot! And when so many people are happy for Nina, it makes me happy too!

So I was waving to those people, happy in my heart.

Then I heard a conversation that was obviously about me.

"Who is that person next to the shrine maiden? I thought she was a man since she wore men's clothing, but... that's a woman, right?"

"Speaking of which, I heard that a noble was chosen by prior notice to be the priestess's escort?"

"I heard that too! I believe it was... Lady Cecilia, the duke's daughter."

"The duke's daughter! Why would someone like that dress as a man?"

"You know what? We ordinary people can't possibly understand what the nobles are thinking~"

I heard such a voice and noticed that people everywhere were looking at me strangely.

Then Viktor, who seemed to have heard the voice, came up to my side, steering his horse with a grim expression on his face.

"Princess... Wouldn't it have been better if you had worn a dress after all?"