Chapter 5

It's already Sunday. I've been getting increasingly anxious about Yuri's upcoming visit. I keep telling myself there's no reason to be nervous, but it doesn't help much. Yuri is clearly an introvert and also an intimate person in general. There's no doubt that she'll open up a little bit when it's just the two of us. Meanwhile, we've even been texting occasionally. She was extremely apprehensive at first, but it wasn't long before I was already learning more about her. But putting Yuri aside...I haven't heard a thing from Sayori since she left club early the other day. It's not like we text each other all the time or anything...But I've been worried about her in the back of my mind. Between what Sayori said, and what Monika said...Is it really okay for me to put Sayori's feelings aside when she might need me? I decide to visit Sayori before Yuri comes over. Rather than asking, I simply tell her I'm coming over, much like we've done in the past. Once I reach Sayori's house, I knock on the door before entering it myself. Again, we used to play so often that we've made it a habit of simply entering each other's houses like we were family. The house is quiet. Sayori isn't anywhere on the first floor, so I assume she's up in her room. It's already strange of her not to run down and greet me. I head up to her bedroom, where I finally find her.

John: "Sayori?"

Sayori: "Hi John~"

I sit down in her room. Sayori forces a smile, but it's easy to tell that she's different. There's a minute of silence between us.

Sayori: "You haven't come over like this in a long time, have you?"

John: "Ah... I guess you're right."

"It has been a long time."

"Not much has really changed, has it?"

Sayori's room is as messy as it's always been. I also recognize the same stuffed animals and wall decorations that she's had for years now.

Sayori: "Ehehe~"

"If you came over more often, it wouldn't be such a mess."

John: "That's because I end up cleaning it for you..."

Sayori: "How come you suddenly wanted to come over today?"

"Aren't you supposed to see Yuri today?"

John: "Yeah, but..."

"...Wait, how did you know that?"

Sayori had already left by the time we decided that last meeting.

Sayori: "Monika told me."

"It's only natural for her to keep me informed about the festival preparations, right?"

John: "Ah, that's true..."

"But what about you?"

"Aren't you going to be helping Monika today?"

Sayori: 4bb "Of course!"

"But I'm just helping her online."

"We didn't plan to meet up or anything."

John: "Ah, so it's just me and Yuri, then..."

Sayori: "Yep~"

There's more silence between us. Sayori stares in a random direction. Everything about her behavior is really uncharacteristic. I finally get to the point.

John: "I just...wanted to see how you were doing."

"After you left on Friday."

"When something's wrong, you can't hide it from me!"