forty

The was a stifling silence in the house once everyone had left, it was punctuated with the occasional little mews and tinkling of the bells on the collars. Saif sat on the couch, hunched with his elbows resting on his knees. His chin braced by his palms as his eyes were downcast; hiding away his thoughts from Hanna.

Hanna walked shakily towards Saif and sat in from of him on her knees. With trembling hands, she placed the palm on her hands on his knees. Saif snapped up at the contact, sitting straight as he looked into Hanna's eyes. There was trepidation in her eyes, and he didn't like seeing it there.

"Saif," Hanna said softly, "can we talk? Please?"

Saif nodded slowly and waited for her to go on.

"I need to know what this means...for us...this fellowship...accepting it?" Hanna said nervously.

"What do you mean?" he murmured. "Wait before that, sit up. Sit next to me."

Hanna swallowed as she slowly rose and sat facing him on the couch. "It's a fellowship in Glasgow, Saif. Four hours or so away by train. I would have to live there for a certain number of weeks in a month...," she trailed.

"Tell me about this fellowship...," he said as he studied her, his chest tightening every time he inhaled.

"It's...well...it's a good one...," she started simply as she shrugged her shoulders. "They have four slots; each one for a different field," she said as she avoided going into details.

"Hanna, I did a quick Google search, I know how prestigious this fellowship is. I know that thousands send in their application; internationally, to be a part of this thing," he sighed rubbing his jaw as he tried to wrap his mind around it.

There was the sound of the doorbell in the distance and the ringing of the phone. Frowning Saif motioned for Hanna to get the door. Without checking whose phone it was Saif answered the call and froze when he heard Nazneen's voice on the other end.

"How did you like the video Hijabi girl? Was it something useful?" she said in a lilting tone full of maliciousness.

"You know, considering you still haven't blocked me yet, I think you might like all the videos I am sending. Does it get you all hot and bothered? Are you writing down notes, darling?" Nazneen taunted in a baby voice.

"Naz? Why are you calling Hanna? What videos are you talking about?" Saif questioned gruffly, his stomach filling with dread.

"O'oh, looks like the little missus is keeping secrets from her darling husband...," Nazneen giggled, her voice grating on his nerves.

"Naz, quit playing around," Saif almost snarled into the phone as his eyes connected with shocked bright green eyes. Hanna stood stock still in the doorway with Layla and Syafiq behind her. The two looking at each other in confusion.

Saif removed the phone from his ear and put it on speaker. "Of course I mean videos of us, jaan. What else would I send your darling wife?" Nazneen's venomous voice filled the living room.

"There are no videos of us, Naz. You know it and I know it," he grated out. His cheeks flushed with anger.

"Uh uh uh...you better check with the missus before you have to eat your words, jaan," Nazneen huffed childishly.

"What do you think you'll achieve from all this?" he almost growled out. "You had already embarrassed yourself when you cheated on me, so you think you can redeem yourself by doing this?"