nine

We think we know someone, but the truth is that

We only know the version of them that they have chosen to show us.

There will be no further explanation.

There will be just reputation.

Reputation, Taylor Swift

The next few days flew by in a blur. Hanna flitted about from one place to the other making sure everything was in order for the festivities that would take place for Sana's wedding. She was also tasked by her best friend to fold and pack up Sana's clothes. The things that Sana would take to her new home with Rizuan. Hanna was barely at home but when Bilal Sahab saw her before bed, he made sure to let her know if Saif had visited.

She breathed a sigh of relief at being able to avoid with without making things too painfully obvious. Hanna didn't want to face Saif just yet. All she wanted was to enjoy her best friend's wedding. It was going to be the last time they were all together as single girls, Hanna smiled softly as she thought about the upcoming nikaah.

Hanna walked into the hall where the Mehendi was taking place and gaped in awe. She felt like she had walked into a Bollywood movie set and couldn't help the wide smile on her face. She heard someone calling her name and craned her neck to look for the source of it. She spotted Fatima near the dance floor and she was motioning Hanna over.

The bridesmaids were all requested to wear something white with a splash of colour. Fatima had on a white tunic top adorned with multi colored beads with a tie and dye sharara and dupatta. Fatima looked like a beautiful Persian princess with her hair in a thick French braid down one shoulder. She had generously lined her eyes with kohl and against her olive skin, her hazel eyes were sparkling. Hanna adjusted the collar of her top, suddenly feeling awkward in her get up.

She had on a simple white lengha and top. Adhering to the bride's request, there was a rainbow on the bottom of the skirt in a chevron like print. The dupatta which she had draped across her shoulders were in the same rainbow chevron print. She fiddled with the white scarf that she had twisted into a low knotted turban at the nape of her neck. On her earlobes, she had oversized ear rings that tinkled as she walked over. The colorful glass bangles glittered around her wrists as it caught the light.

"Hanna, you look so pretty!" gushed Fatima.

"And you look like a proper princess, Fatima," Hanna said as she hugged her friend. "What else is there left to do?"

"Nothing much, just lighting all these damn candles. The wedding planner could use some help as people are already coming in. Just grab a lighter and start lighting all the candles up," Fatima instructed.

In no time, everything was done. If Hanna was in awe when she entered, she was blown away by the final effect of the candles glittering in the glass displays. Everything looked so magical. Fatima on Hanna's left and leaned her head on her shoulder.

"Everything is changing isn't it? We are all growing up...,' Fatima trailed softly.

"Yes, everything is changing," Hanna agreed softly leaning her cheek against Fatima's head. Suddenly another body crashed into them, and they heard Layla's voice; "Don't leave me out of the hugs, girls!" Layla rested her head on Hanna's right shoulder and tried to squeeze the two girls in a hug.