nineteen

On the first page of our story the future seemed so bright

Then this thing turned out so evil I don't know why I'm still surprised

Even angels have their wicked schemes and you take that to new extremes

But you'll always be my hero even though you've lost your mind

Love the Way You Lie, Skylar Grey

"I lied."

"What do you mean, you lied?" Syafiq said.

Sarwar said with his head bowed in shame, as he sat on the couch. Next to him was Awad Sahab sat slouched, his chin in the palm of his hand as he looked out the window. Syafiq looked over at Hanna and Saif, both rigid with tension. Hanna blinked several times as though she couldn't understand the words her father in law spoke.

"Matlab ke, I exaggerated. There were people talking about Saif and Hanna, but...but...," Sarwar hesitated.

"...but it wasn't as bad as you made it out to believe. It wasn't bad enough that they absolutely had to get married," Syafiq seethed angrily.

"Awad Uncle," Layla said hesitatingly, "Did you...did you know about this?"

Awad Sahab linked his hands together letting them rest in his lap as he nodded slowly. Hanna closed her eyes as she clenched her jaw, there was a stabbing pain in her chest; This is what heartbreak feels like, she mused as the tears dampened her lashes.

"It's not...It's not, Awad Sahab's fault," Sarwar said quickly. "Your mother, Syafiq, said some vile things about Hanna on Rizuan's walima. And that is when Awad Sahab told me that he had tried to arrange the match between Saif and Hanna...just that they weren't likely to say yes. And then the argument they had after the walima, Awad Sahab heard everything and he told me how angry the both of you were at each other... "

He swallowed harshly, and he leaned forward, "...I created circumstances to bring the two of you together -,"

"Forced them together, you mean," Syafiq spat.

"Bring or forced, jho bhi ho (whatever it is), I wanted to see them together. Awad Sahab didn't agree, but my desire to see you; Saif, married was so great that I promised that he didn't need to say a word. I would do...I would say...anything....to see you happy, Saif," Sarwar's voice cracked as he said his piece.

"Yes, Dad...Don't they look like the picture of fucking happiness?" Syafiq said viciously as he gestured to a stricken Hanna that sat stock still and Saif who had his face buried in his hands.

"Badtameez! I am still your father, Syafiq," Sarwar said, his attempts at sounding stern failing miserably as he looked at his son and daughter in law.

"You could have left them alone and let them get to know each other. Instead, Bhabhi had to sit through dinner with Mum asking her if she was pregnant!" Syafiq said as he stood throwing his hands in the air in frustration. "They weren't ready for marriage and looked what you've done...."

"I did it for their own happiness," Sarwar maintained gruffly, not wanting to admit his mistake.

"Do they look fucking happy to you?" Syafiq bellowed. A tense silence filled the air as everyone was left speechless at Syafiq's anger.