4 - A date!

Patrick was between his Thursday morning extractions when he glanced at his phone and saw five text messages from Kristi. He instantly thought something had happened to one of his kids, but the schools knew to call his office number first and often did. A sick kid was the worst thing for a single parent. He couldn't just call in sick, not when his patients had arranged their schedule and planned for their surgery. Thank God for Kristi even to just check on them since the girls were old enough to stay home alone.

Opening one message, he realized it was just an over excited Kristi. The school board had made the announcement she had been fighting for. She had been on tenterhooks for weeks, waiting for this news. He instantly thought of the single mother with two small children. She wouldn't be smiling today.

He quickly sent a thumbs-up emoji as he breezed into his next extraction. He didn't favor the 'term drive through', but on Thursday and Friday mornings, he performed one extraction after another. His specialty went way beyond removal of third molars, but it was the bread and butter of his profession. He also performed highly complicated restoration and jaw correction surgeries. Those were slated at the beginning of each week and performed at the hospital.

His afternoons comprised of consultations, follow-ups and procedures with local anesthesia. Patients having extractions with bone grafts needed to be seen several times before they were ready for the titanium screw used for the implant.

His schedule also allowed for emergency patients. Korra sent over one of her patients who presented with a toothache. A crack in the tooth that went into the root had caused the excruciating pain. Unfortunately, the tooth couldn't be saved.

Patrick always felt bad for patients like her. They started their day with a toothache and ended it with one less tooth and knowledge about grafts and implants. None of it was inexpensive.

He tried to put his patient at ease, much like he did his teenage patients. Small talk was his specialty, and he learned Noelle worked for a local tech company.

"You won't feel up to working today." His voice filled with sympathy as he began injecting the novocaine. "I like to use plenty of novocaine. You shouldn't feel any pain, so let us know." She nodded. "Alright, let's give it time to take effect and then we'll get started."

He had time to see his next follow up. The bone graft looked just as he had hoped. Returning to his extraction, he was standing outside the door, when he overheard the patient talking with his assistant, Karen.

"He's nice and good looking. He's probably married, right?"

Karen replied, "I couldn't say."

"Tell me you agree..."

He opened the door and interrupted conversation. "Okay, let's do this." After testing that she couldn't feel anything, he explained what she should expect. "You'll feel pressure and tugging."

Tooth extraction was a physical task. It helped him keep in shape. Unfortunately, it was difficult to return the favor and check out his patient. No one was attractive in his chair.

Everyday ended the same. He personally called every patient to ensure there were no complications. He had over a dozen calls to make, including to his admirer.

She was surprised to hear from him, but it was not unusual. He chuckled because he was calling about her pain not to ask her on a date.

Some nights he arrived home after the kids had eaten. He was pleased to see dinner wasn't on the table. Kevin had made his new specialty, Kristi's enchiladas. The minute he stepped into the house from the garage, Hannah approached him.

"Dad, can I have your credit card? A bunch of us want to go to the movies tomorrow night. I need to reserve my ticket."

He often felt like an ATM. Gabby babysat occasionally, but neither girls worked during the winter. They both worked at the ice cream shack during the season.