71 - Lucky

This is the second of a double update.

Summer vacation meant an end to the runaround and long relaxing days on the beach. Living on The Point, summer felt like one long vacation. Kristi still had meals to cook and laundry to do - an endless number of beach towels. The only thing that would make it perfect would be if Dan wasn't still traveling to New Jersey. At least he was home for the week.

He came home from work looking weary. He grabbed a beer from the fridge and popped the top. She stared at him, because he wasn't a daily drinker.

He let out a long sigh. "I did it."

"What did you do?"

She had been preoccupied with the graduation and entertaining Patrick's family and playing matchmaker. She wondered if Dan had told her something and she hadn't been listening. He accused her of that a lot. She denied it, but often when she was on her phone she tuned everything around her out.

"I turned down the promotion. I hope it wasn't a mistake."

Her heart sped up. She felt pressure in her head. "What did they say?"

He shook his head. "Nothing. It's just all the good jobs are moving and someday there might not be a job at all."

"I've been playing the lottery."

He let out a lackluster laugh. "Kris, no one wins the lottery."

"Someone does. Why can't it be us?"

He took a step and put his arms around her. "Because we're not that lucky." He kissed her forehead. He smelled of beer and not anything like he did when he kissed her that morning.

She smiled. "I don't know. I feel pretty lucky." She had Dan, two amazing kids, life on The Point, her friends. The list was long.

He sighed. "I'm going to change." A slow smile crossed his face as he hissed, "We can get lucky later."

She smiled. She refused to worry about Dan's job. He may not believe in luck, but she did. She would be optimistic enough for both of them that things would work out.

When Dan appeared, she asked him to turn on the grill. She was making burgers. The only thing missing was corn on the cob. It was much too early for that. Corn season wasn't until August.

"Where are the kids?"

She shrugged. "They'll be home. They know when dinner is."

Once their friends were called home, they came in. It worked fine for her because they ate later than most families. Megan had cars in front of her house. Tessa was there, but Kristi resisted the urge to stop in. She wanted to find out from Tessa if everything was alright. Patrick said it was, but men were often clueless.

The minute the kids came home, they started talking about going back down to the beach. She felt like she was losing them. Their freedoms meant she was home waiting for them.

Dan looked at her. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "I was just wondering how they grew up so fast."

Megan had Abbie and Patrick... She suspected he would be playing father to Tessa's girls.

"We can take a walk after dinner."

Tucker stood and started pushing his nose into Kristi's side.

Ivy said, "Dad! Why did you say the W-word?"

He shook his head. "What does it matter? The dog can read." He called out. "W-A-L-K."

Tucker went over to nudge him.

Ben said, "T-R-E-A-T."

The dog ran to the kitchen and sat in front of the cupboard with the treats inside

"Stop! You're teasing my dog!"

Ivy whined, "Mom, he's our dog."

She didn't argue, but she knew her boy loved her best. She was his person.

She and Dan took Tucker for a walk. She liked when he joined her and they weaved up and down the streets. On Sandpiper, she smiled because Tessa's car was at Patrick's. They stopped to talk to Alex, who was in his yard with Eliza. Then they went to their back deck, and she held baby Noah while Dan drank another beer. It was one of her favorite things about The Point. A walk was never just a walk.

When they left the Goodwins, Tessa's car was gone. It wasn't even dark yet. She couldn't have run off again? Instead of wondering, Kristi texted her when she was back home. Even though Dan kept asking her to put the phone down.

K: Did you work it out?

T: Yes.

K: Good. I'm glad. When will you see him again?

T: Doesn't he tell you his schedule?

K: Nope, and I hate it.

T: 😂🤣😂🤣 We were there for dinner. He said he'd come by tomorrow night.

K: Liked "😂🤣😂🤣 We were there for dinner. He said he'd come by tomorrow night."

K: I'll offer for Kevin to sleep over. It will give you more time.

T: Thanks.

K: It's just what friends do.

She put down her phone and smiled.

"What are you scheming now?"

"Nothing."

"It's something." He attempted to tickle her. It wasn't fair, because he knew all her ticklish spots.

"I'm going to suggest that Kevin sleepover tomorrow night. Patrick has a date."

Dan frowned. "You were texting him?"

She lifted her chin. "No, I was texting Tessa."

Dan stared at her. "Seriously?"

"Yes. I'm trying to be her friend."

Dan smiled. "I wouldn't want to date with kids. I wouldn't want to date at all."

"Danny, you better never date. If I die, I'm going to haunt you from the grave."

He just shook his head, looking amused. Erica filled her thoughts. How could she tell Patrick to go out and find another woman? Intellectually it made sense, but Kristi never wanted Dan to replace her. He might find out she hadn't been perfect. What if he loved his new woman more?

Kristi said, "I can't die, because I wouldn't be able to accept you doing what Patrick is doing."

"You can't die, because I can't live without you."

She kissed him. She loved her man.