6 - Snow day

This is the second of a double update.

The school board's announcement hadn't surprised Tessa. She felt resentment toward the high school parents, because they held the power in the town. Thankfully, no changes would be made until the next school year. She hoped the starched shirt and his friend were happy.

She was slightly disappointed she didn't see him when she met at The Landing again. It was silly because she had run away from him. Why did she keep remembering how nice he looked? She wasn't interested in men, her daughters were her priority. Obviously, he had to work, although he was there on a weekday before. It was best she didn't see him again, so she could get him out of her head.

After they had discussed business related to the book fair, Rachel said, "You're coming to Korra's party, right?"

"I can't. My parents are away. I have the girls."

"Get a babysitter. We have a few I can recommend. Anyone you ask has a babysitter."

"I don't leave my girls with strangers."

"You know you are more than a mother."

"But motherhood is my career."

"Didn't you ever take a day off or a vacation when you were working?"

She did, but couldn't think about them. Sweep. "I would rather not."

"Just think about it. Promise."

She hated to disappoint her friend, so she nodded. "Did you see the forecast?"

"Another storm. I wonder if they'll cancel school."

Tessa smiled. "I hope so."

Days at home with her girls were her favorites. Snow days were pajama days unless they bundled up to play in the snow. They were perfect days - no rushing, no tardies, no schedule. Being March, it could be their last one.

She checked all three local channels for the weather report. In the pickup line after school, she discussed it with other parents. As she signed the girls out, the staff member laughed and said, "See you tomorrow, maybe."

She woke to her phone vibrating. Confirming school was canceled and not delayed, she rolled over for more sleep. Some would complain because they would tack the day on in June, but she didn't care. Summer was a long time away. She slept until Chloe poked at her.

"Mommy, I'm hungry."

"Okay. Is Maya awake?" She shook her head. "Is there a lot of snow?"

"I dunno."

"Let's look."

She climbed out of bed and walked down the hall. Her living room had a large window. In front of her was a swirl of snow. The heavy snow had left nothing but white. Even the street hadn't been plowed.

Chloe pulled on Tessa's tee shirt. "Hungry."

"I know. Let's make pancakes."

She let Chloe measure out the mix, ignoring the mess. "Mix it gently or it will slop over the side of the bowl. Like that." More mess to clean, but she was learning.

Maya appeared as the disks turned golden on the griddle.

"No school!" She smiled.

The girls played while she cleaned the kitchen. Then they played board games together. While she made lunch, she asked Maya to read to her sister. Then Chloe read as Tessa smiled because she was advanced for her age.

After the snow let up, the girls bundled up to play outside. Tessa walked down her driveway to the mailbox. Her plow truck hadn't come to clear her driveway.

Her next-door neighbor was shoveling. "Hi Rita."

"Tessa! I think they predicted this one right." So often the weather reports were wrong.

"It looks like it's over six inches."

"Easily. The girls are having fun."

She nodded as she opened her mailbox. Junk mail, bill, invitation, she frowned.

"Bad news?"

"No, just an invitation. My friend is pressuring me to go. She doesn't understand."

"Understand what?"

"I don't leave my girls."

"You deserve to socialize a bit. I'll come watch them. You trust me, don't you?"

"Yeah, but..."

Her kids were grown and away at college.

"No buts. It would be a win, win. This empty nest business is no fun. I need to borrow the girls. When is your party?"

"A week from Saturday, but..."

"Nope. You're going. Maya and Chloe will be fine."

Why was everyone ganging up on her? A part of her wanted to be an adult again. She hadn't worn a little black dress since before she was pregnant with Chloe. Sweep. She didn't know if she would fit into any of her old dresses or if they were still in style. She had her dress from Christmas, but would prefer not to wear it.

"Fine. I'll make an appearance."

"You'll stay as long as you want. I'm a night owl and Chuck will enjoy having the TV to himself."

She sighed in defeat. "How are your kids?"

She listened with interest as she talked about her son and daughter. "Tara will tell you her break was ruined, because she had her wisdoms out."

"Oh, how did that go?"

"Fine. Dr. Bennett is the best."

She smiled and nodded. Did she hear his name before she stood behind him?

Later, after hot chocolate with lots of mini marshmallows, they cuddled up and watched Frozen Two together.

The girls disappeared while she cooked dinner. After she put the chicken in the oven, she walked down the hall to peek in on them. It surprised her to find them in her room.

They had a big album opened in front of them. Maya's sweet voice said, "That's Daddy." She pointed. "Daddy. Mommy and Daddy. That's Daddy holding me."

"Where's Daddy holding me?" Chloe asked.

"I dunno."

"Maya, why's Daddy in heaven?"

"I dunno."

Tessa ran down the hall. Sometimes it was too big to sweep, as the tears fell. All she kept thinking was why was he in heaven? She whispered, "Dammit David. Why?"

The buzzer sounded in the kitchen. She wiped her eyes. She had to finish dinner.