45 - Lurking

Double update today.

What if his kids didn't like her? What if they weren't nice to her girls? That was stupid because two of the three had already been nice to them.

She hugged Kelsey on the sidewalk outside the terminal. "I want to hear about this budding relationship. Take care of yourself and all your children."

Tessa smiled. "Maybe you should come be my nanny this winter."

"Nope, I'm not a nanny anymore." In the six years since Tessa left, Kelsey had studied and trained to become a nurse. "I'll come visit. Maybe there will be a wedding."

Tessa shook her head. "I don't think so."

Kelsey just laughed and waved.

Driving to The Point made her nervous. After Patrick had texted that he had told his three, she sent a text to Megan. Because she was a good friend, she didn't want her to find out second hand.

T: Just want you to know if you hear rumors. They are true. I'm dating Patrick.

M: Good for you!

Remembering Rachel, she sent the same text to her. Rachel didn't text back but called. "Really. Korra thought she saw something at her party. I hate being wrong."

Tessa laughed, but didn't bother correcting her. There wasn't anything between them yet. Although that was the night they had officially met.

As she drove across the causeway, Chloe said, "Are we going to Abbie's house?"

"No, sweetie. I told you we were going to see Doc and Gabby and Kevin."

"Mom, do they live near Abbie?"

"Yes, Maya, but on a different street."

She parked in front of the house and took a deep breath. Looking down at her summer dress and sandals, she hoped she wasn't overdressed.

The girls stood behind her as they approached the door. They were suddenly shy, and she had butterflies fluttering in her belly. Patrick opened the door and smiled. He looked very handsome.

"Hi Maya and Chloe. Come on in."

Chloe looked around. "Where's Kevin?"

"He's out with his friends, but Gabby is here." He stepped to the stairs and called out her name. Turning, he said, "Sorry."

She shrugged. "My house is too small. No need to holler."

Gabby ran down the stairs. "Hi girls." She looked up at Tessa and with more restraint greeted her.

Tessa was just happy she was nice to the girls. Gabby said, "Come upstairs. I found some of my old Barbies."

The girls ran behind her. Patrick said, "Thank goodness for Gabby. Don't expect Hannah to be as welcoming."

"Was it awful?" She put her hand on his arm.

"Maybe a little. Worse, because I knew eventually, I'd be having another hard conversation with them."

She nodded and touched her abdomen. "This."

He nodded. "It's still sinking in."

"I know for me, too."

"So welcome to the Bennett house. Come in the kitchen and watch how inept I am."

Tessa chuckled. "Who cooks?"

"We all do. We take turns. I have four nights, although Friday is always takeout, but I pay for it."

Tessa didn't expect his kids to cook. "So even Kevin?"