82 - Dry run

A/N  It has been 6 weeks from when Patrick found out about the baby to Hannah's birthday.  It seems longer because you've been reading it for more than 6 weeks. There are a lot of chapters. Blame it on writing during COVID shutdown.

Patrick stood in line for two coffees, but Kristi wasn't meeting him. In the summer, tables at The Landing were in short supply. The quiet atmosphere of the winter was replaced with the slamming of the screen door and lines into the parking lot.

When he set Kristi's cup on her kitchen counter, she grabbed it and took a sip. If her smile had a soundtrack, it would be mmm. Patrick hadn't even sat down when she asked, "So how's your love life?"

He smiled. Tessa and the girls had stayed over twice, and she had agreed to spend two weeks together. He had spent time the evening before with her, and they were coming over later. Patrick dragged Kevin out of bed early. They surfed for two hours before he showered to meet Kristi.

"Spill. You're much too happy."

"I'm planning to stay with her when the kids are in California."

"Really. So you two are going to play house with two little girls. What's this a dry run?"

He shrugged. He wanted to be under one roof when the baby came. He still hadn't worked it out, but it would probably mean turning the bonus room into a room for the girls. He wasn't sure about the baby, but it could stay with him and Tessa in his room for a few months. The logical option was to put Hannah and Gabby together since Hannah would only be home for summers and school breaks. There was a lot to think about, and it would be tricky if Dr. Deb didn't come through.

"That's your plan, isn't it? How soon? When Hannah leaves? Do you think you'll marry her?"

That was the question. He knew he cared for Tessa, but it was hard to determine if it was love. He made a promise to Erica, but to replace her fully in his heart would be a big step. Wouldn't he have to love Tessa to marry her?

"I don't know. Maybe. It may be the right thing to do."

"Right thing. What are you talking about?"

He shouldn't have said that, but it was true. His child should be legitimate. He looked at Kristi. He had shared his sorrow and worries with her. She had proven her loyalty and trustworthiness a thousand times. Tessa's sisters knew.

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, searching for the words and bracing himself for her reaction. "You can't even tell Dan. Swear to me."

"I swear, but I don't like where this is going."

He nodded. "She's pregnant. No, it wasn't planned, but I'm happy. I really am."

"Seriously, and you're worried about Hannah!"

"Yeah, because I know the truth. Condoms break."

Kristi giggled. "I'm sorry, but I can't decide what I think. It is kind of funny, but what about Hannah? Can I be there when you tell her?"

He sighed. "I think I'll need to tell her with the counselor. I'm meeting with her next week to discuss it."

"But you have to tell Gabby and Kevin."

"I know it will spread the minute I tell the kids. I figure it will go faster than when word got out we were dating."

"They may be too embarrassed to say anything. Now they know for sure you've been having sex. And I thought you were crazy to get tied down because her two are young."

He shook his head. "I have another eighteen years of parenting. I keep thinking about all the time I missed when mine were babies. It's a second chance to do it right. Tessa missed a lot too." Kristi looked at him and waited for him to say more. He didn't want to betray Tessa. "She worked full time with Maya. She won't talk about after Chloe, but I don't think she was in a good place."