34 - Pushed

Double update today.

Patrick was angry with himself for pushing her. She hadn't responded to a single text or answered his calls. He assumed he spooked her. He remembered feeling guilty immediately after his encounter in Hawaii. It hadn't lasted long, and he didn't experience it with Noelle. The only guilt he felt with Tessa was fear that he pushed her into it.

On Wednesday morning, he was having an internal debate when he met Kristi at The Landing. Should he go to Tessa's house or give her space?

"You look tired." Kristi didn't even bother with a greeting.

He shrugged and lied. "This new boyfriend. I keep hoping he'll go away, but he hasn't yet."

She laughed. "You are so naïve. She's looking forward to summer with this guy. Wait until she goes away to school. That's when the thing will implode."

"I hope so."

Kristi had found the sister-cousins funny. It was funny if the guy wasn't dating his daughter.

Kristi said, "I can't stay long. Megan is home with Abbie. The poor thing has a stomach bug. I offered to shop for her. I guess it's been going through households. Her little friend had it over the weekend."

Patrick thought of Tessa. Maybe she had a good reason for not responding to him. As much as he wanted to, he couldn't knock on her door because she could have a sick child at home. He would send her one more text. The ball would be in her court and he couldn't force her to play. The risk of taking what he wanted was her running away. If she didn't reply, then he'd let her do just that.

P: I heard your daughter is sick. I hope she feels better and you call me.

He drove to town, but not for lunch. He picked up his groceries. Once he put them away, he switched the clothes from the washer to the dryer. Patrick resigned himself it was the end of whatever they had and stripped the sheets which held her faint scent and put them to wash with Kevin's. He'd spend the rest of the day in the water forgetting his amazing date.

By the time they sat down to dinner, he was ready to move on. April was almost over and graduation was in June.

"Hannah, what do you want to do about graduation?"

"Do?"

"Do you want a party and if so, when?"

The last thing he wanted was to plan a party, but he figured he could lure Kristi into helping him.

"Of course, I want a party. Who would come?"

"Well, I will need to invite your grandparents."

Gabby asked. "All of them?"

"Of course." He didn't think Erica's parents would come. Her mother had been with them when she passed and stayed through to the funeral, but hadn't been back.

"Where will they stay?"

"Let's wait to see who wants to come. If we pick a date, I can make some calls." He spoke to his mother once a week. He often stretched it out between calls because he was tired of the pity. She never believed him when he said he was fine.

Hannah asked, "Can I invite my friends?"

"Of course. Your friends and other friends who care about you."

Kevin said, "The whole Point."

He shook his head. "Not the whole Point. Hannah and I can make a list. There will be other graduates having their own parties."

Gabby said, "Like Cole and Rory."

He nodded. He could keep the list short, but it would include Paul and his other associates, Rachel and Korra, and a few neighbors. Hannah's friends and any family who came.

"I'll talk to Kristi on Wednesday. She can help me plan it."

The three giggled, causing him to glare at them.

"Does Dan know you use her like a wife?" Hannah said.

"I don't." Even he knew his protests were weak.

When Patrick asked Kristi to help with Hannah's graduation party, she was thrilled. His parents were coming from California with his niece and nephew, who were the closest to Hannah and had never been to Maine.

Kristi couldn't stop talking about Hannah's party and the annual Memorial weekend party she and Megan were already planning. His friend was always cheerier when winter was behind them. She hid it, but Patrick could tell she was tired of Dan's traveling.

Keep scrolling.