29 - Parenting

Patrick was frustrated, sexually. At forty-four, he honestly feared he might have exploded if he hadn't called time out. It was also frustrating that Tessa hadn't opened up about her past. He gave her multiple opportunities, and he only learned about her siblings. One tiny morsel she shared was that she had a nanny. Marketing, Advertising, New York, and nanny were all a long way from growing up in South Portland, Maine, to her modest split-level.

She may have been a mystery, but she was hot. The way she responded when he lingered on her breasts almost undid him. Lace would not have made her perfectly filled, no-frills satin cups any sexier.

If she couldn't trust him, the thing between them would fail. He wanted every inch of her first, and his chance was a week from Friday night. He put on his blinker and pulled into the Dollar Discount store. It was safe to say no one he knew would shop there. He walked back to his car prepared.

Nine days until he saw her again. Maybe he should have suggested the next weekend. He scribbled a note and went to the garage. Nothing like the cold Atlantic to take his mind off her sexy, responsive body.

He smiled when Kevin appeared on the beach. He met him close to the shoreline.

"How are the waves?"

"Not bad. How was school?"

"Fine. It's almost vacation."

Nine days. He paddled out to wait for another wave. After a number of waves, he called out to Kevin.

"Last one. Okay?"

He looked like he wanted to protest, but he nodded. They walked up the beach together towards home.

"Dad, can I surf over vacation?"

"Absolutely not. You know the rule, not without me."

"You surf alone."

"I'm an adult and I've been surfing for thirty years. I'm responsible for you and couldn't bear it if anything happened to you."

Kevin stopped his protest. Parenting through guilt was effective. After peeling off his wetsuit, he entered the house to hear the girls arguing. The two were faced off in the kitchen.

He heard his dad tone. "What's going on?"

Gabby complained. "Hannah's lying to you!"

He looked at both his daughters. Gabby's eyes were wide with indignation, but Hannah's were looking at her feet. Sighing, he said, "Gabs." Turning to see Kevin behind him, he added, "And Kev go upstairs, please."

He waited for the younger two to leave. There he stood in just the shorts he wore under his wetsuit. He visualized the first time he held her to summon up the gentlest voice he had.

"Hannah. What's going on?"

"It's not horrible. It's just that I've been hanging out with a guy."

"Dating?" She nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think you would like it."

He felt a trickle of unease. "Why?"

"Because he's not in high school. He's a friend of Lexie's boyfriend. They go to MECA together."

Maine College of Art. Patrick imagined an artist with tattoos and piercings touching his daughter. It was out of character for Hannah.

"How old is he?"

She studied her toes. "Already nineteen."

She wasn't eighteen until July. In less than five months, she would be at college with the long-term goal of becoming a doctor.