58 - Respect

He circled the loop around Logan airport, waiting for his family to appear in front of the JetBlue terminal. He had left early to ensure he arrived in time. Both Gabby and Kevin had petitioned to stay home from school to go with him.

There wouldn't be enough room. He was glad that Hannah agreed to make the trip. "Keep your eye out for them." Having a copilot was helpful, but they also needed some time, just the two of them.

The trip started out quiet. It was early, and he sipped on his large cup of Rick's coffee. Hannah didn't drink coffee, so she had hot chocolate.

Almost an hour into their drive as they crossed the bridge into New Hampshire, he glanced to see her eyes open.

"I was really proud of you last night, Han."

"You told me like twenty times."

"I know, but you worked hard and deserved all those scholarships."

"Even Mom's?"

"Most definitely Mom's. Your essay was amazing."

"I figured I won Mom's because you're friends with Dr. Korra's wife and you're doing whatever it is you're doing with her."

"By her, if you mean Tessa, use her name. I don't call Ryder him or kid or anything else. Respect goes two ways."

"Just admit it, Dad. You don't like Ryder."

Patrick said, "That's not true. I wish he were younger."

"Dad, I won't ruin my life. We're not doing anything, but if we were, I know all about safe sex."

"Nothing is foolproof, not even condoms. If you want to see a doctor, we can arrange it. I'm not encouraging anything, but you'll be in the dorms and I'm not so old I can't remember."

"God! Dad, were you one of those guys?"

"What guys?"

"The ones we call." She faked a cough. "Boys."

"You lost me, sweetie."

She covered her mouth, and he had to strain to hear her. "Fuck boys."

"What does that mean?"

"You know the kind girls want to date even though they only want one thing."

"Hence the name. I had a girlfriend in high school and another in college. You can ask your grandmother all about them. She'll tell you the college one wasn't right for me. Not long after I broke up with her, I met a raven hair beauty on the beach."

She smiled. "Mom, and she wasn't interested in a surf bum."

He nodded. "You know the rest."

Although she didn't know, they hadn't dated long before he needed condoms. In his single years, he had never had one break, not until Dollar Discount. Just thinking of sex with Tessa made his blood flow south.

Hannah whined, "Dad. Why don't you get what you're doing is hard for us?"

"I get it. If I didn't, I would invite her over more and touch her hand in front of you and..."

"Stop! I know what you're doing alone with her."

"So the weather looks good for your party. Who else is having one tomorrow?"

Graduation was on Sunday evening, and parties were spread out for a few weeks. "Rory, because Cole's is on Sunday. They couldn't really have them on the same day."

"I know your sister is closer to that group, but both Rory and her boyfriend's fathers dated."

"And they both got married! Are you going to marry her?"