17 - Lunch

This is the second of a double update.

When he stepped forward to help her, he hadn't expected her to turn around into him. He was afraid he knocked the breath out of her.

Stepping back, he said, "Are you alright?"

She nodded and looked down, most likely rattled because he grabbed her. It would have been so easy to kiss her, except she was skittish. He didn't want to ruin their lunch before it even started.

"Fine. I just bought some fresh bread. I'll make some sandwiches."

He didn't need to be served. In his house, everyone was self sufficient. They needed to be.

"I can make my own." She turned to look at him as if she wasn't sure she heard him. "There hasn't been anyone at home to make me a sandwich for a long time. I suppose the girls would, but I would never ask."

"Alright. I still do most everything in this house."

"I learned the hard way that helping them to take care of themselves is a gift."

She contemplated what he had said. "How old are they?"

He smiled. It was easy to talk about his children. "Hannah is seventeen. She needs to decide which college she wants. Either way, she'll be gone next year. Gabby, my middle one, is sixteen. They're twenty months apart. Then there's my son, Kevin. He's fourteen."

"Mine are six and eight. Why aren't you working today?"

He finished making his sandwich and accepted the water she offered him. "Day off. Every Wednesday. I work four ten plus hour days."

"That's a long day."

"Not really. My friend Dan works more hours than me. Lately he's been traveling. His wife isn't thrilled."

"Your best friend? Is that why she's in everyone else's business."

She really misunderstood Kristi. Still, he smiled. "She definitely misses him, but Kristi is Kristi. They're solid. She and Dan compliment one another. He's very chill with a dry sense of humor. Her antics amuse him. When she goes too far, he'll let her know. I've witnessed it a time or two."

He would defend her because of all the help she'd given him. Tessa didn't respond, so he kept the conversation going.

"Do you work at all? I mean outside of the home." He looked around. It was comfortable and tastefully decorated. It didn't look as if she was strapped financially.

She shook her head. "I had a career years ago, but I realized my priorities were off. I am dedicated to my daughters one-hundred percent."

Without considering his action, he reached out and took her hand in his. It was soft and warm. She looked at their joined hands but didn't pull away. "You need to live too. I know how precious life is."

"I'm living. I have friends."

"We could continue being two people who run into each other, but I'd like to be your friend."

"Friend?"

He lifted her hand and kissed it. The color filled her cheeks. He didn't need experience with women to know she wouldn't fall into his arms as readily as Noelle. He wanted her and didn't know if it was because she was a challenge or if they had a connection.

She stammered. "We don't know each other."

"True, but I'm an open book. You can ask me anything."

"I like to keep my book closed."

He wondered what had hurt her so much she locked it away. "I'm alright with one sided. I have a lot of sorrow, but I like keeping her memory alive. The kids have to talk about their mother. It's part of moving on."

"You sound like you went to counseling."

"We took advantage of the support the hospice offered. It was important that I helped the kids. She was sick for a long time. I experienced every emotion possible, denial, hope, anger, despair, numbness. Helplessness was the hardest. Afterwards it wasn't a relief because it was never what I wanted, but at least I wasn't helpless to not be able to save her."

Why had he said all that? These were the things he saved for Kristi.

"I'm sure you helped her. Just your love."

He was thankful his eyes weren't clouding over. "It's hard to see a loved one suffer, but enough sadness. She made me promise a lot of things, and one was that we would live life and be happy. It took us a while, but we try to honor her wish."

Tessa reached up and wiped her eyes. "That's beautiful. She must have been an amazing woman. I'm sure I'm out of her league."

He reached out and lifted her chin so she had to look at him. "Why do you say that? I've only just met you and I can tell you are intelligent, hardworking, a good friend, and a dedicated mother. Oh, and beautiful."

"I'm not."

Before she could stop him, he leaned in and brushed his lips over hers. Pulling away slightly, he quietly said, "You are and the fact you don't know it adds to your beauty."

She looked down, obviously embarrassed. "It's getting late. I have to pick the girls up from school soon."

"When can I see you again?" He didn't ask if.

"I told you I don't leave my girls."

"Fine. Next Wednesday. If you don't want me to take you out, I'll bring lunch here."

She looked like she wanted to argue. He put his finger over her lips to silence her. "It's non negotiable. We can just talk, but I'd like to steal a few of these." Still with his finger on her lips, he pulled her closer with his other arm. She didn't resist, not even when his lips replaced his finger. Her mouth was soft and after a moment she sighed and moved her lips with his. He held her with both arms and it was ten times better than their dance. He stirred when he felt her soft curves and loosened his grip. His goal was not to scare her.

When he released her lips and dropped his arms, she looked dazed.

"Thanks for lunch. I'll see you next week, unless you bump into me before."

He turned to leave the way he came through her garage, leaving her mouth gaped open. He smiled as he climbed into his car.