25 - Girlfriend

This is the second of a double update.

It had been a beautiful afternoon in the water. The sun dried his face quickly and kept him warm. There were more people on the beach than he'd seen all winter. It was the in between time when the only beach goers were the die hard Point residents. If his neighbors were watching him, he didn't care.

On one wave, he had landed back at the beach just behind Kevin. The youngest Brenner had run over with a little friend.

He smirked at Peter, who was in tow as Kevin spoke to the two friends. He didn't hear what his son was saying, but the girls liked it. Shaking his head and chuckling, he headed back into the water.

"Kev, you coming."

"Right behind ya, Dad."

Eventually, they quit. After a warm shower, he looked at his phone. Tessa had finally replied to him. She was on the beach and had seen him surf. Was Kevin talking to her daughter? He had seen pictures in her house, but he only glanced at the little girls.

He sat on his bed and sent a text.

Patrick: You saw us?

T: I saw your son.

He took a chance and dialed her number. When she answered, he said, "You saw Kevin?"

She laughed. "He's very polite. She must have been beautiful."

He hadn't expected that. He gulped. "She was, but you are too. Each in your own unique way."

"Did you have a good surf?"

He smiled because she changed the subject. "I did. Were you visiting the Brenners?"

"Uh, huh. Your girlfriend said you looked hot surfing."

"You did? Because I keep hoping you're my girlfriend."

"I meant Kristi. She really doesn't like me."

He sighed. "Don't worry about her. Can I talk you into going out with me tonight?"

"I can't. My girls."

Patrick tried again. "How about I stop by after they're asleep?"

"That's not a good idea."

"I disagree. Just think about it." He could hear her talking to one of her girls. "I know you have to go. I'll call you later."

She wasn't pushing him away, but he just wanted her more. He put his phone in his pocket and opened his bedroom door. Only Hannah's door was shut. He walked down to the bonus room.

The large room over the garage was a playroom when the kids were younger. Now it was for video games and a place to hang out with their friends. Kevin was playing on his Playstation.

He looked up. "Dad, do you want to play?"

He joined him occasionally, but not because he really liked it. He tried to spend time with his kids doing what they liked.

"Sorry, Kev. It's my night to cook."

When he was on the water, he planned to start the grill for the season. It would be warm enough and light enough to cook the chicken outside. He was on the back deck hooking up the propane tank when he heard her greeting.

"Hello."

He stood and saw her through the slider. Opening it, she stepped outside.

"Starting up the grill?"

"Hopefully." It was old, and some parts were rusting. He held his breath when he pushed the ignite button. The spark caught and the flame spread. Turning the knobs to test the other two burners. He smiled.

"Men and their grills." She scoffed, but men, who never normally cooked, grilled. "So I saw her again."

"Who?" He knew who.

"That Tessa. She was hitting on Dan and she was giving me a look when I was teasing Megan about Peter, the way I do."

Patrick couldn't hide his reaction. "Three days ago, you had decided he was having an affair in New Jersey. Today you have another delusional idea. Seriously, there were plenty of guys on the beach to turn a woman's head."

"What are you saying that Dan couldn't?"

"When you wanted to do The Point calendar, which thank God you never did, you didn't think your husband made the cut."

She smiled. "I should plan that again. You could have a stethoscope or something doctory."

He shook his head. He had taken her mind off the other craziness. Tessa was not interested in Dan. She was skeptical of getting involved with Patrick, and he was available. He was also in better shape and had a better head of hair than Dan. Kristi would have a fit if she ever found out he was seeing Tessa which meant that he didn't expect it to go anywhere.

Kristi clapped her hands in quick repetitions. "No, with your surfboard. I need to talk to Jen about this. I bet she would help or Lana when she comes for the summer."

He let her talk. She cheered herself up. When she left, he let out a long sigh. He would have to talk to Tessa about Kristi.