Chapter 28

Gabriel's POV

Today is Friday. The most hectic day of my schedule.
Stopping by the cafe down the street on my way in, I picked up the cheese danish and cup of large coffee for myself, it all started to go downhill.

How can someone get the wrong cheese danish?

Aren't they all the same?

Donna just glared at me as I walked to her desk to drop it off for her.

"Mr. Marcolini, what is this?" Donna enquired, looking at the package strangely.

"I was told to pick this up for you. What's wrong with it, Donna?" I inquire.

"Oh um, no it's okay. Thank you!" She gives me a reluctant smile.

Stiffly nodding my head, I head to my office to get started on the day.

I've been going over contracts, signing more documents, having virtual meetings, and now half way through the day, Nonno drops by unaccounted.

"Ciao Gabriele." He greets taking a seat across from me.

"Hello Nonno. What can I do for you?"

"What? Can't come and say hello?" He refutes, raising his bushy brows.

Without answering him, I go back to looking over more documents before my next meeting.

"With you, that's not possible. I assume pops already filled you in?" I ask without  looking at him.

"Ah yes, he did." That was his only response.

"Want coffee?" I ask reaching toward the phone to have Donna bring us coffees.

"I'm good, thank you figlio. I just stopped by to have a small conversation with you. I can see you're busy. Why don't we go grab a cup?" He asks standing up.

Of course, he's not really asking, he's commending me.

Heaving a sigh, I grab my phone and suit jacket to follow him.

"We're going out for coffee, Donna. Please push my scheduled meeting to later." I inform Donna.

Walking towards my car, we make our way to his favorite restaurant. Instead, I decided to make a detour to that little cafe I first met hazel eyes, I told him to try their espresso.

I wonder what she's doing today.

"They make it just how we like it."

"We're just talking son, Coffee, food, it really doesn't matter." He chuckles.

Taking a seat on the same table, we place our orders and Nonno takes out his wallet.

"Tell me what's going on. I know what your father told me, but I want you to tell me." He raises his eyebrows.

Wiping my hand down my face, I look out the window.

"I found some interesting things on your amico Capella. I'm not happy with that information Nonno. Never mind marry their daughter." I reply, keeping certain aspects regarding Clarissa to myself.

"So tell me." He pushes.

Turning back to him, I look him in the eyes and say, "Her father has issues with embezzlement, tax evasion, bankruptcy, his ties to malavita showing its cracks, being a rat. He made deal with the fed to be a CI. With a daughter that has no care in the world, other than her selfish need to live lavishly. Something that will be required of me to quench. They expect us to cover their dirty tracks, for us to be baites. Once we merge, they'll be famiglia. Also Clarissa has been on the front page cover of every media, documenting her every move. I've been made aware of her schemes to have her dirty paws in our company's financial assets. I have my own investments outside of the company, but do I look like a bank? Cazzo no!" I hiss.