Conversations

Though they had a 'guest' in their castle that night, the other Skeksis, all but the Chamberlain, went to sleep that night. He and Brooklyn spent all night talking. Even the Ritual Master had gone to bed since he had heard Brooklyn's words and felt he wasn't much of a threat, at the moment.

Before the great Gelfling killing of their race, the Skeksis had been friends with the Gelfling race, so to speak. Chamberlain's side of friendship was kind of re-emerging with talking to Brooklyn. Brooklyn needed something to do that night and what was he supposed to do with everyone sleeping?

Around dawn, Chamberlain was beginning to get tired, as was Brooklyn.

The Skeksis did figure that his and Brooklyn's ways were very different, and it was for the best that they did send him home to his world. If he stayed here, he would have to develop a purpose here in this world.

"I had nearly turned to your kind's way once." Brooklyn suddenly said. Sil was beginning to douse a bit, but he snapped back when he heard that.

"What?"

"Demona wanted me to turn against my leader, Goliath, by putting a spell on him. That's how I learned to hate her. She betrayed me too. Tried to kill me. And she has in a multitude of times following it." Brooklyn looked down sadly.

"I wanted to be new Emperor after old one died. But I lost fight. If I stayed, I would still find ways to overthrow him if I could, but he is much stronger than me. General is my biggest rival." SkekSil said. "Likely, he would find ways to hurt Chamberlain."

"I never did ask, what caused the emperor to die?" Brooklyn asked.

"Sick. For long time, noticed Emperor had problems breathing, and toward end, find out he was doing experiments on some big power called Darkening. He used it in big battle with Gelflings, but that stopped too, and we lost one of own when used back on Skeksis. One Gelfling had powers too. Not know where ended up, that one. But Emperor's health keep on getting worse. One day, he take off a decoration on end of his beak, and revealed he had done work with Darkening, and it was weakening him. He tried hard fight to live. No Skeksis wants death. Live long lives. Just want to live long." Sil explained.

"I can understand. You love life for your clan. Yourself. So does my clan. But every time it seems we get to a staple life, something goes wrong, and it gets torn away. After we first got to Manhattan, we thought Xanatos was our friend, but after Goliath saved Elisa, she quickly proved that she could be trusted. She found us a new home at a clock tower that was above her police precinct. Then some human hunters found out where we lived by putting a tracker on Goliath, and we lost that home too. Now we have this Quarryman problem at home. I won't abandon my clan." Brooklyn replied. "After Xanatos and Fox had their son, Alex, he reformed and saved us and took us back to our castle home."

Sil had listened intently. "Yes, Skeksis love life. Never had castle taken from us. Always been our home since been on Thra. Not much life left, but Great Conjunction coming up soon should change that. Old things be made new again. New life for Skeksis. About Emperor, even SkekTek couldn't save him from death that came from dealing with Darkening." he explained.

"Sorry about the Emperor." the gargoyle said.

"No need to feel sorry about. We were ready for him to die. We wanted chance at getting new Emperor. He abused power for too long." Sil said.

"Okay. I won't speak any more of it, but he should have meant something more to your kind. Especially when there aren't many of you left. My kind does. We appreciate every one of us that still lives, at least ones that haven't betrayed us." Brooklyn stated.

"He did. We not kill other Skeksis, our rule. It was his time. Your kind doesn't fight each other all the time?" Sil asked.

"No, not unless we have to. We want to save the last our world has of my kind, and there aren't many. We can't even reproduce fast enough to bring back the numbers we once had." Brooklyn declared.