Immortality talk

The next night, there was a storm that blew in. The clan stayed in tonight. They needed a break from patrols anyway.

Sil had experienced many storms in his life before, but never one quite like this. It seemed far more noisy and violent outside. There was also much more thunder and lightning too, much sharper than on Thra. The loud thunder claps made him jump... a lot.

The TV also wasn't working, and it made Hudson so mad. "The satellite dish went out again!" The clan heard the clan elder complain.

"It happens, Hudson." Lex stated. "One day it might be better, but science is only slowly advancing these technologies."

That meant there would be no TV watching tonight. It was amazing the lights even stayed on, but Xanatos had made sure that the lights all were monitored during storms with a backup generator. There wasn't much that he couldn't afford.

Brooklyn and Sil went to the library for more reading lessons. There wasn't much better to do.

"Storm seems much violent. Way worse than on Thra." Sil commented.

"In Scotland, they seemed much worse. But yeah, they can get bad." Brooklyn admitted.

"You go out on patrol in storms?" Sil asked.

"Yeah, we have before. If winds get really bad, we have to land somewhere. Our skin is thicker than a human's and we don't get sick as easily as they do when they go out in the rain, or the cold. We're just used to living outside somewhat more. We just don't have that much need for clothes that much, other than what we already wear, with the exception of Hudson. But we will wear clothing when needed. I like to wear leather jackets when I've ridden a motorcycle before." Brooklyn explained. "The weather is just too violent tonight to go out."

"Agree. Too noisy."

The two of them went on with Sil's reading lesson until dinnertime. In a way, Sil was glad for the storm because it kept his friend here with him. He still needed to find a niche here at this place. He still didn't quite have a job to do, other than being Brooklyn's best friend at the moment. They talked on their way to the dining hall.

"If going to stay here, Chamberlain must have job to do soon." Sil stated.

"Well, you'd be well off talking to Xanatos, or Owen about that. But you are being great company for me. I usually don't have anyone to hang with." Brooklyn declared.

"You good company for Chamberlain too." Sil smiled.

They soon arrived at the dining hall and everyone was settling down for dinner.

Everyone got what they wanted on their plates and sat down to eat. Sil kept beside Brooklyn, but the storm was making him nervous. None of the clan or humans had seen him so edgy before, even in the short time they'd known him.

"What's wrong, Lord Chamberlain?" Angela asked.

"The storm's got him on edge." Brooklyn replied.

"It's just a storm." Broadway said.

"Maybe to you. Just never had one like this before." Sil declared.

"What, you didn't have them on your planet?" Lex asked.

"Yes, but not like this." Sil replied.

"The storm will soon pass." Goliath said. "It might be all night. Or all day and night."

"We do need the rain. It's been so dry this summer." Lex said.

"True." Goliath agreed.

While eating, the humans were there too. Owen was just being a server. He would eat on his own time. That was his job. Sil looked over at David.